Author Topic: Failure-advice needed (Success now)  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Failure-advice needed (Success now)
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:29 pm »
Excellent work.  That braced profile looks very familiar  :)

I think Tonkin doesn't grow much more than about 2" in diameter
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 05:07:09 pm »
Thanks Marc, I appreciate that. I'm bending the limbs on an OS one at the moment. Then I've got some Cascara and Maple to try. This success has put the lead back in my pencil, I was getting kind of wishy washy about this.
 I read somewhere that there is Tonkin Cane and Tonkin Bamboo. I guess it doesn't matter, we're at the mercy of whoever is selling it. Pretty tough to tell one bamboo from the next.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Failure-advice needed
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:48 pm »
i think when you made the bow wider it changed alot of things and as the weight got lower,, made the boo to thick relative to the belly,, (-P

I don't like having to bother thinning my bamboo down to paper thin and often leave it thick-ish, but yeah, this seems likely the problem.  That bow is darn short for one thing, which will make the bending limb thinner back to front.  Then those huge recurves make it super stiff, so.....thinner yet.  The backing was  a stiff one: bamboo. Then you lost some of the Perry reflexing benefits it seems to me, since the bow's reflex was moving all over as you moved toward starting dimensions, etc.  That limb had to be quite thin to even bend.

"After the glueup it was like an iron rod. I could floor tiller it about a half inch."  and if I had a dollar for every time I said that as I took a laminated bow off a form.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Failure-advice needed
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:33 pm »

Can someone clarify something for me? TBB1 says that the outside 10% of the thickness does 50% of the work so on a .500" thick limb .050" is doing 50%. So why does it matter if the boo is a little thick? If the outside is doing all the work isn't the rest of the boo just along for the ride? Why does it matter if that part is Yew or Bamboo?
[/quote]

This is my understanding.  It isn't that the backing is too thick, like theoretically or in principle.  It's that IF the backing is very thick, that necessarily means the belly slat is thinner.

Early on in my bowmaking, I made a lot of bamboo backed boofloo and bamboo backed tropical hardwoods like ipe, jatoba, and bulletwood.   I had fewer tools BTW, and frequently glued a 1/8" bamboo backing to a 5/8" or 3/4" thick piece of ipe or whatever AND forced it into a R/D posture.  Number one, doing so was probably overstraining the belly slats glue surface in compression DURING glue-up, such that the glue line was a backing glued to over-compressed wood.

But number two, by the time I had worked the bow down from "construction beam" stiffness, I most often had a net limb thickness of 3/8" or less.  Now I start with a 1/8" backing and glue on a pre-tapered 3/8" slat.  BUT, imagine if you started with bamboo, say a highly crowned piece you want to be wide enough so you left almost 1/4" thick.  Now your finished belly is only 1/8" thick.  That' just not enough balance to hold the shape of the original form.

This is one benefit of tri-lams, BTW.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 07:28:05 pm »
I sure wish I knew what I had. It's a 3 1/2" pole I got from a garden center. Like me, I guess, undetermined ancestry.

Almost certainly moso bamboo if it is thin walled.  It's fine stuff, just kind of too thin if the pole is on the smaller diameter size.

Offline PatM

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »
Excellent work.  That braced profile looks very familiar  :)

I think Tonkin doesn't grow much more than about 2" in diameter

That's a bit of a myth. It tends to be cut much smaller but larger poles are available and a slightly ovalized pole acts just like a similar shaped sapling.
   Even a smaller pole will back a narrow bow of Ipe.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
Yes, you new bow is very beautiful.  Congrats.

There is some bamboo out there often marketed as "tonkin bamboo" because it comes from the Gulf of Tonkin area.  It is NOT the same as ACTUAL tonkin bamboo or tonkin cane.  If I remember correctly, it is a larger diameter sub-tropical specie and is similar to Taiwan Bamboo. Most large diameter bamboo you see out there that regular people can afford is moso, which works just fine for me, but some moso gets mistaken for the "fake" tonkin bamboo, too.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2018, 07:34:31 pm »

Even a smaller pole will back a narrow bow of Ipe.
[/quote]

This is very true and under-utilized....

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:00 am »
awesome bow!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2018, 11:55:24 am »
Looks good, and shoots well! Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
very, very nice!
your profiles are just awesome!
Congrats, its a winner.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 12:19:27 pm »
The design credit goes to Marc, I just copied his Maple backed Buckthorn as best as I could.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 02:04:29 pm »
The design credit goes to Marc, I just copied his Maple backed Buckthorn as best as I could.

Oh well, now I know how fast mine will shoot  (SH)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 05:43:49 pm »
Excellent work DC.When making those multiple layered lam bows a few more trys can get a person zeroed in on what they should be thickness and width wise.To keep it fresh I usually record it in a notebook for the future after going on to different types of bows.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:07:16 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2018, 06:08:31 pm »
It wasn't intended as a multi lam bow. It was a boo backed yew that came in under weight so I ground off  most of the belly, glued on another piece and started again.