Author Topic: Recurve questions  (Read 3238 times)

Offline DC

Recurve questions
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:21:19 pm »
I've done these two kinds of recurves. I'm wondering if one is any better/different than the other.
One thing I'm looking at is the way the string lifts off. On the conventional one the string lifts off gradually and and on the siyah type it lifts off all at once. Obviously it's the way it lays down that is more important and I'm thinking that one would give a gradual boost and the other would be a sudden boost part way through the power stroke. Is one way better?
 Another thing is the weight. With the conventional one you need those shoulders to guide the string into the string groove. I think this makes the tip a little wider than it has to be. With the siyah type and the long loop it's the bridge that keeps the string in line so the tip can be reduced as much as it will take.
 Is there another way to design recurves that I haven't thought of?

Offline PatM

Re: Recurve questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:05 pm »
This has been discussed multiple times on here.  Testing two bows of the same weight and length will tell you what's happening.

The most vociferous as to the merits of one over the other are generally people who have made neither but read about theory. ;)

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:04:34 am »
I've wondered the same thing! I've always done the one on the right, without siyahs. Do you have some specific topic in your mind, Patm? Since i haven't noticed. I'm now off to search anyway...

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:41:30 am »
This has been discussed multiple times on here.  Testing two bows of the same weight and length will tell you what's happening.

The most vociferous as to the merits of one over the other are generally people who have made neither but read about theory. ;)

I searched a little harder and came up with a few threads. Two of them started by me and asking much the same questions. Getting old I guess. Or maybe I just didn't get the answers to what I was really looking for.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:50:31 pm »
Yes, there is one more off the top of my head from (I believe the 1930-40's) It is a long working recurve, and I have not seen it talked about on here in yrs, the name slips my mind. Pat, Marc any help here? I am not talking about the Grumley which is another style.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:57:53 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:22:02 pm »
I know the one you're talking about. It's in TBB3 I believe. Beautiful bow.  Name won't come to me and the book is upstairs :D :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:53:02 pm »
Yes, there is one more off the top of my head from (I believe the 1930-40's) It is a long working recurve, and I have not seen it talked about on here in yrs, the name slips my mind. Pat, Marc any help here? I am not talking about the Grumley which is another style.

You might be talking about the Wilcox Duoflex
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:42 pm »
Thanks Marc, that's it!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:03:48 pm »
Yup, that's the one. It always makes me think of your bows Marc. Did you get any inspiration from them?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 02:29:30 pm »
Marc made one.  The stability issue deters most.  Many modern laminated bows use much of the principle though.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 03:19:28 pm »
   Most of the tests I have done were with siyah bows that were considerably shorter so I really don't feel I could make a true comparison. For shorter bows 48" to 58" I would say they performed well but it had more to do with how much set they took as with any other type of bow. I doubt there is enough difference to be able to say for sure as little things can make a difference. You would have to be able to build a perfect siyah bow and recurve bow both in design, material and execution to say for positive. I doubt that will happen in the near future.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 04:22:56 pm »
What about the weight difference between the two? I haven't made that many but it did seem that I could skinny down the siyah tips more just because the string doesn't have to be supported like it does on a regular recurve.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 05:30:22 pm »
I made this one http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5717.0.html.   Stability was an issue.  Also the HHB chrysalled over time.  I never got around to testing it through a chrono but it was quite fast
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »
I like that!

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:36 pm »
What about the weight difference between the two? I haven't made that many but it did seem that I could skinny down the siyah tips more just because the string doesn't have to be supported like it does on a regular recurve.

The recurve can practically have the back portion tapered almost to a wedge as well so it comes out about the same if both are reduced to the max.