Author Topic: Elm!!!  (Read 1632 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Elm!!!
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:25:37 am »
Theres no bow in this thread.
 But a lot of Respect for the mystery wood I had. I had this sapling, warped and twisted. I was clearing out the workshop and ended up sawing this wood up for firewood. I gave up on it its was really twisted. Holy Cow! it was hard as rock. Its one of the toughest woods ive used. Now its been in the shop seasoning 4 years all be it but still. It make the Siberian elm we have here in toronto look like styrofoam. Until now the Siberian elm was my only reffrence for elm at all. This is the stuff the Marc St.louis must be talking about.  Ive up till now never had the pleasure to use it. I wish I could find some of this stuff growing around here. I guess i'll have to go around at night  >:D looking on peoples lawns because I havent seen any in the ravines. I ended up using the top part as a billybat I couldnt part with all of it.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bushboy

Re: Elm!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:03 am »
Try looking near water sources, near rivers and somewhat swampy areas
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 05:06:37 am »
I assume your talking about white elm?elm loves water and nutrients ,the best can can be found in a high canopy forest near a water course.here in manitoba the tree species vary within a short drive.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:58 am »
The ravines in Toronto are filled with Elm but much of it gets blighted shortly.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:22 pm »
There are load s and loads of elm trees all over Toronto. However the Only species I have encountered is the Siberian elm some call it Chinese elm. I can say that it is a completely different animal to this hickory like elm i found in the kawarthas. The Siberian elm makes a bow but I have to say its not a very durable wood. its very soft and easy to carve. Though the large percentage of bows i've made from them have had tension breaks and they were flat bow. The longbows made from it crushed on the bellies. I have had 2 successful bows made of this species. So I have always been skepticle of hearing that elm is such a great bow wood. Not until now seeing this stuff I have.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:31:09 pm »
You are looking in the wrong areas then. Even within an area.  Siberian Elm is all over the areas right next to roads and houses, American Elm is in the remaining natural woods. The Don Valley is filled with American Elm for example.

Rock Elm is still occasionally  seen and it was actually known as Hickory Elm.    The natural variation of American Elm includes rock-like stuff.

Offline Nate

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »
I've made several bows out of our native elm here in Manitoba. It's incredibly tough, especially in tension. When I was a youngster there were massive elms growing all along the lake shore here, but now I only find the occasional new growth tree. All the mature ones are dead.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:58 am »
Hahaha you know the punch buggy no punch back effect. look for a punch buggy and all you can see from then on are punch buggies. There is more then siberian elm here....then end.  )-w(  >:D
knapp 'um if you got 'um