Author Topic: Sideways Bend  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Sideways Bend
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »
What is the easiest way to heat bend the bow to get the tips to align? It was fine before since while it was drying but it warped on limb dead straight so it became a problem.

Offline kbear

Re: Sideways Bend
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »
I have had success straightening/bending dry limbs by wetting the area, wrapping in aluminium foil, taping the ends with masking tape, heating with a gun and applying weight. The water steams up inside the foil and prevents scorching. Bend a little farther than needed as it will return some. Allow to cool with weight applied. A light scrape or sand will remove the tannin stain the water leaves on the surface. I used this technique on a number of Ironbark bows that all decided to do their own thing.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:47:23 pm »
 Ryan,
             Like Koreybear said, bend farther than needed...Here is a sequence on a cull using dry heat with over correction and corrected results...This can be used on a near finished bow also...I usually over correct by 50%...
                                                                                                                                Don

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:52:17 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »
corrected
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:45 pm »
I don’t own any clamps though... could I do this by hand?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:56:35 pm »
  Heat the limb and torque it in a tree fork...Hold it long enough to cool down...Probably been done that way many times...
                                Don

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 06:26:40 am »
That’s basically between two branches or trunks right?

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:55 am »
Yes ,keeping in mind the bend has to be done while still hot.
very good pic tutorial Buchett.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:20 am »
  Ryan,
            Like ohma2 said, bend while hot...You have to move quickly with this method...Here I used steam and went to a vice and held for a few minutes by hand...
                                                                                       Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:55 am »
...and after you heat it and straighten it let it rest until completely cooled and not just to the touch. Give it at least a few hours.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kbear

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:30:26 pm »
Wow Donald..... above and beyond. Kudos to you. People like like you give PA real value. Many thanks!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 01:54:18 pm »
    Thanks Korey, I owe a lot of folks on here over the years myself and like to help when I can...
                                                                                                                                            Don

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 02:23:51 pm »
I don’t own any clamps though... could I do this by hand?
You can use wedges. Same method as the other Don. The strategically placed blocks with the red arrows are temporarily screwed to the caul.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:19 pm »
The legs of a stool/chair/table work, so do the uprights on a staircase, even a door frame but best put some padding on the framework so the bow doesn't dent it. Any gap you can jam a bow limb in will do; I think I once levered a bow I steamed across the gap between a pair of kitchen units to make a minor adjustment, then put it in a vice and set the bend with dry heat - my stove is a long way from my bench

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 06:08:13 am »
 Thanks for the tips! I think I’ll use my stairs. It’s a good thing I kept this thing short cause I gotta run!