Author Topic: Osage shortbow question  (Read 1538 times)

Offline banderson965

Osage shortbow question
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:09:55 pm »
I have some Osage slats that are 1” x 3/4” x 64” and am wondering what could be done with them besides a kids bow? I have hickory to use as a backing. Thank you for your help

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage shortbow question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:29:27 pm »
Hickory backing on an ELB style bow. You could probably get 50#+ with it, maybe more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline banderson965

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »
Thanks Pat. Never attempted an ELB but I may give it a shot

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 11:04:57 pm »
Depending on the design of your bow and how well vursed in your tillering skills you could easly make an adult bow.  Just glue on a handle and tiller it out.  It takes very little Osage to make an adult bow.  I have one that is 52lbs 62in long an inch wide or less in spots and definitely under 3/4 thick.  I hunt with it and killed a very nice buck with it this year. 

You could always put a layer of sinew on the back for protection or some thin rawhide. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:24 am »
Yeah, i like that bow you have Pat ;)

That osage you have is a good candidate for a bamboo back. If you would rather not mess with it, i may be interested in working a deal with you for it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline banderson965

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:26 am »
What you got Pat ? I could spare a couple of pieces. I was wanting some style help. I am not well versed in bowmaking but have some successful hybrid pyramids and working on some reflex/deflex hickory backed ipe. I have progressively gotten shorter and shorter as I want to hunt from blinds and stands. I failed to mention I have some bamboo as well for backing material.

Offline banderson965

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:39:15 am »
I am sorry my last post  was directed at Sleek

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 11:38:50 am »
Hickory is so much easier as a backing. You still get good performance and better durability IMO although it's not as sexy.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:25 pm »
Well hickory and bamboo both draw moisture so either would be good.  I personally prefer bamboo.

I would do the reflex deflex like your ipe. But thats my favorite design.  As far as that goes just about any design would probably work.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!