Author Topic: Merry Christmas to me!  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Nidhoggr

Merry Christmas to me!
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:42:45 pm »
So my wife knew I needed a new boy as my old one was wearing out.  She also knew I needed something that was hunting powered.  Having heard me ramble about "oh 2 - 3 lbs less than listed per inch not drawn" and making her measure my draw length and hearing it was 23 1/2 " she figured out what I needed.  While not technically "primitive" it's amazing.

She got me a Samick Sage 62" 55#@28".  My god what a difference that has made.  Thing lobs my 5/16" oak arrows like a bullet.  One of them got about 10" into the dirt.  I love this thing.  I still want to get a traditional longbow again but holy hell this is a world of difference.  I also fired one of my old arrows off it and it ripped the cock feather half way off from velocity.  Hit the target, embedded fine.  Was nuts.

She also got me a stringer, some nock markers, and a replacement string.  I married one hell of a woman.

Offline PatM

Re: Merry Christmas to me!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:54:35 pm »
It was nice knowing you.

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:57:32 pm »
 Lol what's that mean? Because it's a takedown? I mean I still own primitive bows, use primitive bows, make arrows, etc. Just think it's awesome that my wife bought me a bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:55 pm »
Your mission, if you choose to accept it - is to build a self bow that is better!  And post the build along >:D :BB!.  Nice to see the lady takes notice of your archery passion.  Now you need to get her involved!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:35:50 pm »
Actually have been  working on a self bow. No build along for this one as it's meh and more experimenting and proof of concept. Next one will be a bamboo backed bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:17:20 am »
Actually have been  working on a self bow. No build along for this one as it's meh and more experimenting and proof of concept. Next one will be a bamboo backed bow.

I think you'll be surprised how good a selfbow that you build to your draw length will perform. Making a bow the right physical length to make the best use of your draw length. Look forward to seeing it. There is just nothing quite like shooting a selfbow you made yourself. Even if your first couple aren't all that great.
Bjrogg
PS it is great to have your wife interested in your Archery. Mine is surprisingly very interested and I even could say proud of my work. She loves going to the Marshall Primitive Archer Meet and visiting with the fantastic people there. It's really the only vacation we get so I'm thrilled that she likes it and always wants to go again.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
it means this site is not about fiber glass bows,,

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 02:42:56 am »
it means this site is not about fiber glass bows,,

So I shouldn't post about a Christmas gift related to traditional archery? Also, I've seen a ton of posts over the years with laminate builds. Many of which contain fiberglass.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:55:50 am »
Nidhoggar. I think it's probably better in the around the campfire section. This section is really for post about selfbows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 05:20:54 am »
Congrats on you Xmas bow hope you enjoy it , my wife has about as much interest in archery as sticking her hand in a fire !  It was confusing for me when I first got here what a primitive self bow was , when I saw bows posted with FF string and laminates with epoxy glue & actionboo bellied bows but finally figured it was any bow that was 90 % natural material with out glass ! Enjoy your Xmas bow look foward to seeing your self bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:47:19 am »
Nidhoggar. I think it's probably better in the around the campfire section. This section is really for post about selfbows.
Bjrogg

That's fair.  I totally forgot about that section.  If a mod wants to move it.

Congrats on you Xmas bow hope you enjoy it , my wife has about as much interest in archery as sticking her hand in a fire !  It was confusing for me when I first got here what a primitive self bow was , when I saw bows posted with FF string and laminates with epoxy glue & actionboo bellied bows but finally figured it was any bow that was 90 % natural material with out glass ! Enjoy your Xmas bow look foward to seeing your self bow !

Oh I get that it's not a primitive bow lol.  I don't think primitive bows had metal threadings to attach limbs.