Author Topic: ERC board belly with hickory board backing?  (Read 9504 times)

Offline txdm

ERC board belly with hickory board backing?
« on: December 29, 2017, 09:18:38 am »
I have abundant ERC boards but not enough hickory board left over to make a full-length bow.

I'm wondering if I could rip two ~1/4" backings of hickory, then glue them down to an ERC stave (one on each limb).

How does ERC hold up in compression with a hickory back?

Offline gfugal

Re: ERC board belly with hickory board backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:20 am »
So after ripping you have a backing material 1/4" thick? Will you splice the two ripped backings at the handle? I think that sounds like a goid idea. Hickory is stiffer than ERC so you would want a thinner backing anyway, maybe 1/4" is still slightly too thick but I have no experiance in the matter, just theory. Erc is a good compressiom wood so it's good it's on the belly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:38:46 am by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:37:23 am »
If you can butt the backing strips at the handle you will be OK. You could always add an overlay over the joint for security if it worries you.
 Hickory is a good backing for ERC but like gfugal said, 1/4" is a bit thick. 1/8" or less would be ideal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:57:46 am »
OK, I can rip to 1/8" and butt them together at the midpoint on a non-bendy handle.

My only experience so far is with all-hickory boards. I'm looking forward to this, but I dont know what to expect from the ERC. I'm sure it would be lighter, but will it handle compression better than all-hickory?

Here's my layout plan... hoping to get 50# @ 28", but I'd settle for 45#

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:01:51 am »
That should be a good design.  If you find the limbs are getting to thin while you are tillering you can tiller from the sides to narrow the limbs some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:29:08 am »
You can do a small v splice or overlapping scarf joint of the two pieces and then an overlay and cord wrapped handle for full security.

Pope mentions the ERC hickory combo as a yew substitute in Hunting with The Bow and Arrow.

Offline txdm

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:54:44 am »
You can do a small v splice or overlapping scarf joint of the two pieces and then an overlay and cord wrapped handle for full security.
I've got enough to do one of those too :)

Pope mentions the ERC hickory combo as a yew substitute in Hunting with The Bow and Arrow.
I'm surprised it's not more commonly done.

Do you have any recommendations on the better glue to use for the lam between TBII and Knox Gelatine? I dont have a planer machine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:36:43 am »
You will need both glue surfaces flat and smooth and well matched for both glues. I would suggest the TBII.

Offline txdm

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:02 am »
OK, thanks. I'll use a fine cut table saw blade for the hickory lam, then sand both as smooth as possible.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:46 pm »
That should do it. I'd do a dry run first to be sure you get good mating.

Offline txdm

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:35 pm »
More questions:

Should I try to put in a few inches of Perry reflex during the glue-up, or is that getting greedy for my first try at a lam?

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:44:11 pm »
    I would glue in about 2 1/2", kind of pretiller the belly lam so it bends in a nice even arch instead of just coming up mid limb when you glue it up, it will make tillering a lot easier.

Offline txdm

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »
    I would glue in about 2 1/2", kind of pretiller the belly lam so it bends in a nice even arch instead of just coming up mid limb when you glue it up, it will make tillering a lot easier.

Not sure I follow what you mean... tiller the belly lam a little first before gluing it to the back?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »
Yes, that is what Steve means.

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »

so it bends in a nice even arch instead of just coming up mid limb

I am following along and hoping that Steve can clarify what kind of arch txdm should be looking for? or what he is recommending to avoid