Author Topic: i am now a firm believer in neck\head shots  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

i am now a firm believer in neck\head shots
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »
i shot a turkey this morning with a 60+ pound bow and a cane arrow and real nice little stone point.  at 15 yards i hit him square on the wing, what a WHACK that made. much to my suprise, the arrow never penatrated, as he flailed about for  a second he shook the arrow free from his wing feathers and trotted off like nothin happened but a little scare.  no blood or flesh or anything on the head. i am thankful for the opportunity to hunt and shoot at these birds...but, i am not very happy this morning- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline sailordad

Re: i am now a firm believer in neck\head shots
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »
ya, turkey hunting is a constant learing curve. alot of people  are  surprised at how tuff it can be to stick a turkey in the wing area.the only tuffer spot would be the breast,ive seen arrows hit right square in the breast and just bouce off.they will penetrate the brest up untill they hit the breast bone and then back they come,doesnt really hurt the bird much.

i have and always will be a head/neck or back shooter on buzzards.
just incase your curios about back shots: if they are struting away just aim for the bung hole,if they are just walking away their wings make a nice guide for where to shoot them in the back,just aim right between the wings and you should bust the spine.

sorry to hear that you didnt get your bird,jut remember they are a self renewable resource and there will always be another day and another shot.

i think that you may of had better luck with a nice sharp steel broadhead for a wing shot, i know its not quit primitve but problaby would of had better luck.jmho
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:08:32 pm »
aw man sorry ryan. ill be tryin this year and hearing that i will try for a neck and head most definitely. i just hope hes close enough for it. my bows only 50 pounds so a shoulder shot is probably out of question if i would hit that wing bone. again, sorry to hear about that miss hap.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:37 pm »
That is tough luck, and hard to belive. I guess you never know.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:48:23 pm »
Hmm.........sharp steel bh's have no advantage over sharp stone IMHO. Thats what the manufacturers would have you believe. Steel replaced stone for the reason its easier ta produce and no other reason. Wing butt shots are tough no matter what you are using. Sorry about yer shot.........bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:52:19 pm »
If I cant get a Bung Hole Shot....I always wait till the Bird is quartering....and try for either the Guts...or between the Wings at mid Back...I am not going to waste an Arrow for a Headshot....I aint that confident!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:04:15 pm »
well i called in a jake this mornnig about 9:15, i went fo rthe head and neck shot and ended up with a few feathers but nothing more.   its definetly tough....lol   then i had a nce tom come in about 20 mins later and missed him completly he was about 20 yards, perhaps a bit discouraged still from my previous misses
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »
 20 yds is a long shot fer the neck base Ryan. Small target aint it ? LOL ! Know been there. >:( Keep at it ya will do fine.....bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:01:34 pm »
   Hey , Keep trying like Bob said. It's not easy all the time with a shotgun. And to say you will wait and pick a certain spot on a turkey, good luck? They never sit still for very long. That's why to me the recovery rate is low, and when you get one ,you did real good with a bow. Turkeys' will bury theirselves in leaves,crawl under logs or whatever after they are wounded. They are hard to find. Or fly off and then die.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:27:45 pm »
good luck gettin one
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »
i cant wait....Turkey Season opens here on the 29th of this Month and run till the first weekend in May!!! Boy am I ready....just hope that Work cooperates with my Turkey Schedule....or I may get the Flu!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:44 pm »
well i wish you other hunters good luck, i hope you get one!
as far as shot placment, i may give the body another shot if i get the chance this weekend. i am goint ohave to avoid the wings as much as i can, especially the bony parts.  hopefully i can get a quartering away shot.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"