Author Topic: Elm Recurve  (Read 7769 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Elm Recurve
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 08:14:27 am »
  I agree with you Ed, I don't consider red elm to be a true bow wood. Chinese elm I use the same dimensions that I use with osage. It seems to be the most consistently dense of all the elms I have worked with.
I'll have to try that chinese or possibly american elm here then for self bows.I know there's fellas here who use the red elm as cores on FG bows without any failures.

Ed, it is a great core wood because it is light, you can use any wood for a core because it doesn't do anything. Just a spacer.

Yes I've understood the working surface depth concept for quite some time.I usually gotta laugh though.The FG bows want to look like wood but not really yet.I've scored elm also with a chain saw for splitting to get staves later.
The chinese or american elm here usually has a shorter trunk then the  elm.That can be determined by growing locations some but in general that's the way it is here.
Elm is a very prolific propogater here if given a chance.It was used in the past here as wind breaks for farm yards.A fairly fast grower to develope that.Disease[what they call the chinese elm diseease] has gotten many but it still is around.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 10:49:44 pm »
Great looking bow. Love the tiller on this one. Great to see you on here. always look forward in seeing your work.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 05:36:52 am »
Real nice looking bow, Marc!  Your indoor range seems a bit (30")short, though >:D!   Bow shoots good, in any case.
Hawkdancer

Can't miss at that distance

Must have that arrow tuned pretty good to straighten out in 30"s Marc.
Thanks again for sharing I do just love your bends.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
It's a beauty, Marc! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!