Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Local conditions, drag and distance

<< < (5/7) > >>

joachimM:
except for the detrimental effects of extra drag by wind and rain itself  (-S

Actually, it's pretty difficult to combine all ideal conditions of humidity, temperature and wind.
in the early morning the humidity is high (closest to the dew point), but temperature is low. Wind speeds are often lowest in the morning, especially in summer, when winds rise in the afternoon due to convection of warm air, heated by the sun.

Overall, I can imagine that early summer mornings provide the best overall conditions to flight shoot.

Selfbowman:
Well I shot the same arrows and the same bow the other day that I shot at the flats last summer. I was disappointed to say the least . It was cold probably around 40 degrees  . My arrows flew 25 yds shorter than they did here or at the flats. No wind to speak of. Maybe cold air falls and hot air rises has more to do with it than we thank. .??? Arvin

Selfbowman:
I also think maybe that the water that comes off the flats in evaporation in the heat there makes the air more wet. Could be wrong about though. The water is shallow at the flats. Arvin

Badger:
  Arvin, I think rising thermal air currents help a lot.

willie:

--- Quote ---I am not sure how much arrow shaft drag can be exploited to get farther shots.
--- End quote ---
Alan, I know you covered some FOC principles in an earlier thread where gliding was discussed, but maybe there are thoughts for other possible exploits out there?  Have most of your efforts been limited to the  "If we can delay the decent, then the arrow might go further" concept?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version