Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Local conditions, drag and distance

<< < (3/7) > >>

Badger:
   I notice that one of the problems we have is dealing with the lighter arrows around 200 grains or less. They come of the bow very fast but the slightest sideways motion kills the speed right out of the bow. Arrows around 300 grains from 50# bows can pretty regular hit the 300 mark but not good enough for records. I am moving my arrow weight up to about 250 or 260 this next year and see how it does.

willie:
Steve,

what is the spine of the 200 and 300 you are comparing?

Badger:
   I don't measure the spine on 200 rain arrows, I just test with my finger, with no point weight it doesn't take much, It would be cool to video tape in slow motion just to check it. On a tapered arrow I think the dynamic spine point is well behind center. If I were to guess I would say about 20# spine some as high as 35#

willie:

--- Quote ---  I don't measure the spine on 200 rain arrows, I just test with my finger
--- End quote ---

If the lighter arrows are having trouble, wouldn't you want to have an objective way to test stiffness? I realize that stiffness measured at the center of a tapered arrow doesn't tell the whole story, but it is always part of the story. What am I missing here?

Badger:
  I measure on occasion. I feel like there are so many factors at work and so little available testing time or space, so many arrow style variations that I am better off just working intuitively basing everything on small samplings and then going in the right direction. I have had a steady improvement in arrows. I feel like if I could practice 1 time per month it would speed up my progress by dozens of years. 

I am starting to think longer draws will pay off in primitive flight as well. Use the extra stored energy of a full 28" draw to beef up arrow weight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version