Author Topic: Here is the Plan  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Zuma

Here is the Plan
« on: November 25, 2017, 05:50:19 pm »
I just wanted to throw this brain fart or brainstorm your way.
I know you-all must be tired of my hide threads (hope not)

So here is the Plan lol

I fleshed the road killed coon this afternoon. Thought I'd put it right into an egg bath.
Thought twice and decided to put it into my rock tumbler with some detergent first.
It's going now. Next I will rinse, then add egg oil solution. Tumble overnight.
In am stretch and pull hide for a bit.  Return to tumbler with some smooth tumbled rocks
for a while. Wring and stretch for a bit and return to dry tumbler and rocks. Repeat
I wish I had my old 117 volt dryer. I would remove element and tumble hides.
 Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Here is the Plan
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:20:20 pm »
It's good that you cleaned the coon hide well with a detergent to lessen grease etc. but I think your egg solution should of just been massaged into the flesh side is all.What's your solution to getting the egg solution out of the hair now?If an egg solution which I've never used is supposed to simulate the same texture as brains which is the only thing I've used,that type of tan is softened by stretching the hide every which direction as it drys.A tumbler will not accomplish that task.Using a chemical type tan using a tumbler it might accomplish it some but it still will need to be hand stretched some.Not as much as a brain tan hide but still some anyway.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:51:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:09:17 pm »
Zuma I've never used the egg solution but I'd tend to agree with Ed. Whenever I've tanned something I always massage the solution into leather trying to avoid getting it on fur. Usually I turn it fur side out and let it penetrate the hide overnight. I usually roll it up a leave it in a plastic bag. Then I turn leather back out and put on a stretcher. Let it dry slow and I try to stretch it more as it dries. Stretching and rubbing leather over a rope or some type of edge. You might be able to clean the fur up with some fine sawdust mixed with mineral spirits.
Good Luck and I actually enjoy your questions about tanning.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:35 pm »
Thanks for not getting bored with my recent mania. I did a mink in eggs last year.
 The fur rinsed clean. In my post I said I would stretch and pull the hide every now and again.
I'll keep it moving one way or another. Keep you posted.
Lazy Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:12:45 pm »
Well the rocks I put in earlier than I planed to. Bad idea.
They exacerbated the holes caused by me or the road kill.
Perhaps a full regiment of (shagged golf balls) would be better.
Anywho I stretched and wrung the hide and added another cup of piping hot water.
It is late so I may just turn off the tumbled and let er soak.
Lazy Zuma

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:25:43 am »
Don, I have never tried tanning with fur on but I have trapped and put up fur for market. I do know that fur and water don't mix and hot water just makes things worse. Warm water and fur is a recipe for hair slippage, it is the same thing you did to make deer hair slip except the ashes swelled the grain, I think your hair going to slip on your coon :( :o   I have seen fur buyers use a tumbler with ground corn cobs to help clean ,dry an degrease furs. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:47:47 am »
Zuma....Outback is correct in his statement.Back in the early 80's when I wanted to start tanning my own hides I had aspirations on using a tumbler like the big factories to soften hides.Found out through trial and error that it did'nt come out too good.I realize large tanneries have tumblers to soften but that's after the hides are almost dry and using chemicals to tan the hides it breaks the connecting  fibers down to be tumbled with hard items to soften them.Brain tanning needs a lot of air circulation and stretching/roping/prodding or whatever way to keep the fibers stretched as they dry.Brain tanning does not break the fibers down as chemicals do.The oils in the brains actually surround the fibers to allow them to be stretched and not cling into themselves as they dry.That's one reason why brain tan is such extremely tough but soft leather.No loss of initial integrity of the leather.It's unique!!!
I do have a tumbler though with cob grit in it that turns around 13 to 14 times a minute.That's the proper speed.It's a 2' by 5' cylinder of galvanized sheet metal mounted on an "A" frame with piilow block bearings. A 2' diameter 3/4" plywood butt ends glued and nailed on each end.A door to get access to the inside on the butt end.I'll get you a pic sometime.I used an electric motor/ accounted for the speed per minute it had/and reduced it mathematically with reduced sized pulleys from motor[2"] to [10"] on the speed reducer then to the shaft on the tumbler.It has length wise 1" by 4"'s along the inside of it that serve as paddles to lift and carry the hide to the top.Then the hide tumbles down into itself along with the cob grit to get degreased properly and dry as a bone.I use it to degrease put up coon/coyote hides after they are dried prior to sending them to Canada to sell.Usually it only takes 5 minutes to degrease hides nice.I got sick of using towels to degrease the hides.The tumbler with the cob grit actually shines the fur up very nicely then too.Top dollar for the furs then.
Some pics...Not very good pics but you'll get the idea.These items have been stored for a while without use.Still work fine though.The tumbler/fiberglass fleshing beam/gear reduction machanism.In background a few of the frames I used to dry hides on.All fur and hide working equipment.Used to always put up my own fur for many years.These tools are fairly well retired nowadays [sorry for the mess]but paid for themselves many times over.To buy these items is pretty expensive so I made most of my own.

Not trying to be too grandious but I knew from the awards sent to me from North Ameraican Fur Auctions I was doing things proper when they would send me notices of rewards on paper.Just a couple here and have lost the others.See there are hundreds of thousands of hides at those fur auctions with buyers there from around the world and to get your own into the top lot is an accomplishment.Pic.

$21.00 may not seem like much but in those years it was top dollar.The early eighties coon went for 3 times that.All fur was up then actually.Prices on fur have been on a steady decline since the early 2000's.That's why just tanning a few for yourself like you want to do is encouraged by me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:41:27 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:11:54 am »
Ed, fur shed looks about like mine :o, I got a couple top lot muskrats $16.50, today same rats maybe $3.00. I told the farmer that wanted some rats cleaned out I would not kill them for a 2 dollar avg, and the populations not there. I used to catch over 100 rats in a month in the 70's. Today same ground you'd maybe catch 15. Don, I know the tumbler sounds like great idea but in all honesty you need to forget about going to the gym and grab hold of your hides and workout until complety dry, or do like NA did and start packin ya a few squaws to do all the hard labor. Either way have fun ;D ;D :o Bob (=)  ED, not sure if you or I will be around to see it but Beav  will shine again. Bob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:41:58 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:50 am »
Great posts. I gotta get back to my pullin,stretchin and chewin.
Keep ya posted. Things ae going ok so far excepr the da rn rocks,
Zuma

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:12:06 pm »
I agree Zuma, I always us cold water to wash my fur. Even if it doesn't slip the fur hot water takes the natural oils out of the fur and leaves it looking "dead". The natural oils give it that lustrous look. I know some guys use a conditioner.
Yup always know your doing stuff right when you get those toplot awards. I have them for mink, muskrat and fox. Many years ago I sent into NAFA and they sent me a fur handling catalog. It had instructions for handling each type of fur barer and the stretcher sizes they preferred. When I tanned my hides last year I used fine sawdust and mineral spirits to give the fur a little more "life."
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 05:12:02 pm »
My awards should be here next week )-w( )-w(  >:D
So far so good. Gettin dry hair still there. I stretch and chew for a while,
spit out the egg shells then do a few chores while hide is in tumbler.
Bob----------" There are more beaver in that valley than stars in the sky"
Iron Belly
So good I went and got some more. :)
Zuma

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
Are those all out of 1 tree?.....lol.Nice colored coon!!!I see 1 good dog there....lol.
I pretty much learned to handle fur on my own and working and observing in fur sheds.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »
I agree Zuma, I always use  cold water to wash my fur. Even if it doesn't slip the fur hot water takes the natural oils out of the fur and leaves it looking "dead". The natural oils give it that lustrous look. I know some guys use a conditioner.
Yup always know your doing stuff right when you get those toplot awards. I have them for mink, muskrat and fox. Many years ago I sent into NAFA and they sent me a fur handling catalog. It had instructions for handling each type of fur barer and the stretcher sizes they preferred. When I tanned my hides last year I used fine sawdust and mineral spirits to give the fur a little more "life."
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
Sorry don't know how I posted that last one I was just trying to fix one of my typing errors. Looks like you got some work ahead of you Zuma,
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 05:40:07 pm »
Ed, it ain't that Holstein. ;D ;D  Bob