Author Topic: Skinning an Elk  (Read 1738 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Skinning an Elk
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:53:32 am »
I've got my first hunt ever coming up, which looks like I'll be doing solo, unless anyone here wants to come to AZ next week!!!  Bull elk.  Anyone have a great guide for taking care of the hide?  I've watched enough videos to know how to get it off the elk, but what about after?  How quick does it have to be processed?  Also, best way to harvest the sinew?  I'll use a meat processor, do they need to be in on that?  I'm so frikkin green it ain't funny.

Offline Zuma

Re: Skinning an Elk
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:37:38 am »
You gotta get  the elk first >:D )P(
I hope all goes well for you. Let us know where you are going to be hunting.
I'd sure like to be with ya but I got a coon to tan >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 10:54:49 am »
E Jensen, I shot a cow elk with my recurve on the 2nd day we were there and had 12 more days before leaving, I fleshed my hide the best I could with just hunting knive but was worried hair would slip in warm weather. I did a lot of hiking while others hunted and ran across a salt block that was put there for cattle that ran in summer, borrowed a pc  and salted down my hide that evening, worked just fine. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:22:50 am »
Eric...I'd take a bunch of pickling salt with me in the truck in case for the hide if your going to stay longer.Keep it as cool as possible.I'd myself just cut the legs off and take the back strap off too before going to the processer.The legs won't dry out that quick with the hide on them yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
I agree with Ed, remove hide, take off legs, front are easier than the back, remove tenderloins and blackstrap and antlers/or head.  If you want to mount the head, leave a "cape" of hide below where you cut the head off.  Never took out sinew, so I can't comment on that.  If you are doing it by yourself, you got a lot of work cut out for you.  Elk math applies here - 1 guy 33 and 1 guy 66 does not equal 3 guys 33!!   Been, done that! >:D. Good luck on your hunt and be careful.  There is a recent post on harvesting sinew.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »
Good luck to ya E.Jensen!!!After skinning you can get at the backstrap sinew off along the loins.The legs you can do later.Altogether a lot of knife work really but if your like me you'd enjoy every minute of it.
Cotton muslin bags for all the meat stored in a cool area out of the sun.Sounds like a rich situation to me,but like I read said.You gotta get one first.Good Luck!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed