Author Topic: Key-Hole Limpti Lamp  (Read 3335 times)

Offline BryanB

Key-Hole Limpti Lamp
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:42:59 pm »
While collecting shells along the Oregon coast I often wondered if the shell from a key-hole limpit would make a nice wick holder.
Here is my try at seeing if the concept worked.  I used some modern hand tools to prove concept, then I'll make one with primative tools.
The lamp body is made form balack & white soap stone from sothern oregon, the wick is braided wild rose cordage, the shell is key-hole limpit, and the fuel is rendered bear fat.
I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts,  I hope you enjoy.
Bryan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Key-Hole Limpti Lamp
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
Cool lamp Bryan and good idea for the wick holder. What oil do you use in a lamp like that.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BryanB

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »
Pat, the oil is rendered bear fat.  I made it to seal some primative bows and arrows.

Well, I discovered that the wicking material and bear fat combo didn't burn efficiently at such an elevated level.  I still liked the concept, so I flipped the shell over and it worked perfectly.  It holds the wick very nicely and the white of the shell had an added bonus of reflecting significantly more light.  The lamp works very well now.
Bryan

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:16:13 pm »
I like that ! I don't recall ever seeing a limpit with a slot in it like that, cool. Nice project.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:30:32 am »
thats awesome. ive always wanted to try but with a turtle shell to hold the fat. looks great.
Modern Day Tramp