Author Topic: Hawthorn and Choke Cherry Stave Questions  (Read 4342 times)

Offline lotojarich

Hawthorn and Choke Cherry Stave Questions
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:02:40 am »
Howdy, I have been reading your posts for quite a while and have learned tons. This is a great site, but it makes me wish I lived in the south. I have made several board bows and want to move onto stave's. I have some questions regarding wood stave's. Has anyone made any bows out of hawthorn? :-\ I'm not even sure that is what it is called. I live in Utah and we have tons of it around here, and that is what I grew up calling it. The stave's are very dense and straight 4-5" diameter with few to no knots. Also I have cut several nice choke cherry stave's and was wondering if you chase down a few rings with it or remove the bark and use that for the back of the bow?? I wish I had Osage here to play with, but I will have to make do with what is around. I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks, Rich
Archery... Just the word seems to invoke awe in the minds and hearts of men.
Nearly every recorded culture has used the bow and arrow to civilize, feed,
protect, and entertain.  ....Douglas Spotted Eagle

Rich ... Salt Lake City, UT

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Hawthorn and Choke Cherry Stave Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:04 am »
I've seen bows made from both. Either of these are sapwoods-just peel the bark and you've got the back of the bow. The hawthorn around here is usually crooked and twisted with lots of long thorns.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:11:55 am »
Marc St. Louis posted a beautiful hawthorn bow and i think others have posted some too it makes a good bow

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:14 pm »

Have 2 billets drying in front of the fire place right now....Black hawthrorn

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:19:21 pm »
I started using local wood (Western Montana) years ago after paying way too much for osage. I have had good luck with both hawthorn and chokecherry (and serviceberry) all of are in the rose family.  None are as good as osage.  I have a good hawthorne log curing right now. I might back it with hickory.
(See pics) The first is hawthorn, second is chokecherry and the 3rd are cross sections of serviceberry (top is West MT and the bottom is NorthCarolina that PatB sent me. I made a hybrid bow from the two serviceberries.

In your area you might find mountain mahogany which can make superior bow if you can find a straight one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline lotojarich

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:43:25 pm »
Thanks all for the help! I thought that I had searched out hawthorn bows before with no luck but I found the pics of Marc St. Louis' hawthorn bows now. I hope mine turns out that nice.

Thanks OldBow for the Mt Mahogany suggestion. I'm going to research to see what it looks like so I can be on the watch for some more stave's (patience in letting them dry will be the tough part).
Archery... Just the word seems to invoke awe in the minds and hearts of men.
Nearly every recorded culture has used the bow and arrow to civilize, feed,
protect, and entertain.  ....Douglas Spotted Eagle

Rich ... Salt Lake City, UT

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:21:13 am »
We have Hawthorn & Chokecherry growing wild here in Western Canada, but the trick is finding wood big enough. Chokecherry is a bush, not a tree, and doesn't grow very big around here. Also, finding a stave with minimal knots is a trick.

Offline Qwill

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:02 am »
I have had great luck with serviceberry and hawthorn both. Chokecherry was marginal.