Author Topic: 1st bow advice  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Krp

1st bow advice
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:46:24 am »
Wandering if you guys could give some feedback on this bow. This is the first bow I've  made. It is osage, 66" 55# @ 28". Tiller look ok?

I know the pictures aren't great but that's all I have. The bow seems to shoot well. I've put around 150 to 200 arrows throughout it. Chronograph at 145 fps average.

Thanks for any feedback.

Offline DuBois

Re: 1st bow advice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:22:47 am »
Hard to say for sure without an unbraced side profile pic but looks like it may have a little bit stronger upper limb than lower and just maybe a tad stiff in mid upper limb. Are the limbs equal length?

Sure better than my first and I may be way off.

Congratulations

Offline Krp

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
The bottom limb is shorter than the top. I used Dean Torges book. Here is an un-braced picture. Again, sorry for the poor quality pics.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:09:04 pm »
Looks pretty good to me definitely looks a little disproportion maybe the way you're holding the bow while drawing. almost looks like you can move the handle up a couple inches. Be curious if you shot the arrow 2 inches up from where it's at how the bow feels and shoots

Offline Krp

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I just took some measurements. I was wrong on the length. The bow is 62 1/4" ttt. The top limb is 32" to the center of the handle and the bottom limb is 30 1/4. So the bottom limb is 1 3/4 shorter. Is that too much of a difference? Can I shorten the top limb and re tiller without hurting the bow?

Thanks again.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
For your first bow that is pretty good amigo. Be proud of that one.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:15 pm »
It's a very nice bend. Good job. There's something funny going on though. In the full draw pic the handle looks way off center but the unbraced pic doesn't look so bad. Cameras do weird things.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »
Brother, you got a shooter on your first try, that’s a success no matter how you cut it. I’d leave her be and continue on with your new addiction. My first bow is laying in two pieces somewhere around here. I think the top limb may be a tad long, but will let others with more experience say for sure, but again, unless you don’t intend to make another one in the future, I’d leave it. I will say this, I made my first asymmetrical bow a few months ago, just measured from tip to center of rigid handle and got the top limb 1 7/8 longer than bottom. It draws and shoots like silk and after several hundred (has to be over 1000 now)  I have zero string follow and maintain a little of the natural reflex the stave had. My bow is about 1/4” shorter and 8# lighter than yours and of a different wood, but I believe you have made  a fine bow, not just because it’s your first. Listen to those with more experience, but if you have already shot that bow in without any adverse affects, I really think you shouldn’t chop on it and apply any advice you get to your next bow.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:26:42 pm by Morgan »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
It's a very nice bend. Good job. There's something funny going on though. In the full draw pic the handle looks way off center but the unbraced pic doesn't look so bad. Cameras do weird things.

I believe in the fd pic, the bow is canted quite a bit. Bottom limb tip seems to be quite behind his bottom at fd. I bet if the view was from the other side the top limb would appear the same size or shorter. It is very hard for me to draw with a vertical hold, feels wrong.

Offline Krp

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »

I believe in the fd pic, the bow is canted quite a bit. Bottom limb tip seems to be quite behind his bottom at fd. I bet if the view was from the other side the top limb would appear the same size or shorter. It is very hard for me to draw with a vertical hold, feels wrong.

Yes, in the full draw pic, the bow is canted a little. I have a hard time drawing with a vertical hold also. Took about 4 pics to get that full draw pic. The others were canted worse lol

Thanks again for the feedback.

Offline Krp

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:55 pm »
By the way, I got this stave at Mojam around 2002 or so but never done anything with it until now. Life got in the way. Glad I picked it back up. More excited now than ever. I've made a couple board bows after this one. Had to work on something while my staves are drying ;D

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »
Don’t know where you’re from, but don’t overlook whitewoods now that you’ve been bit by Osage. I overlooked hackberry for a long time and finally cut some because of what some folks on here had to say about it. I now have a shed full of it and it is probably going to be my go to wood because it is very easy to get as people just think it is a trash tree.

Offline Krp

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »
Don’t know where you’re from, but don’t overlook whitewoods now that you’ve been bit by Osage. I overlooked hackberry for a long time and finally cut some because of what some folks on here had to say about it. I now have a shed full of it and it is probably going to be my go to wood because it is very easy to get as people just think it is a trash tree.

I've got some persimmon drying out now. Must have cut it at the wrong time of year though as the bark seems like it's stuck on permanently lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 02:57:07 pm »
That's the straightest split of persimmon I think I've seen. Most of what I've seen had at least 90deg of twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Krp

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 03:05:43 pm »
That's the straightest split of persimmon I think I've seen. Most of what I've seen had at least 90deg of twist.

Everything I've read says persimmon twists pretty bad. I have about 10 more logs just like those. I'm new to this but I figured I would let them dry a few months with the bark on and in halves before I split them into staves to dry further.

I did try to take the bark off one but I'm having a rough go at it lol. I'm afraid I am going to cut into the white wood and hurt the staves.