Author Topic: Balancing on a finger  (Read 3003 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: Balancing on a finger
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 05:06:09 pm »
Why finger when you can use a pencil? It is hard, doesn't move and bow rests of very narrow point (tangent of circle in cross section) so it provides perfect way to see the balance.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »
   I will balance my bow on the fulcrum point when tillering, but like PatM said one limb could be much denser than the other...Might work with cookie cutter bows of glass, but when working with staves you gotta take what you get...You might get lucky though...I can see where an extremely heavy limb vs a light limb could cause some timing issues...I think balance on the draw and shot are more important, but I can see where equal limb weight would be great also...
                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:38 pm »
It makes perfect sense that one end would be denser. Trees taper.

Does this give you any warm fuzziness DC?  :D It's actually a great point. Never thought of that Pat.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:54 pm »
Actually I'm still mulling that over. The rings are bigger at the bottom but there is more wood in those rings. I'm thinking the density would be the same. That said in a finished bow you have more rings at the "top", maybe you'd have more late wood. I haven't come up with an alternate reason though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »
When you see a tree with more dramatic taper you can detect the density change to an exaggerated degree.

An Elm will really show this where the bottom part that may be buttressed has an almost rubbery texture.

I actually think the bottom is more elastic though.