Author Topic: Bow #2, first ever Mollegabet! Spotted gum board, 62" ntn. 40# @ 27  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Julian

Hey, so this one has been a learning process for me. It's got its flaws; mostly the bottom limb is a bit weak I think, and I over did it making the top limb longer. Bear in mind the FD photo is angled. Here are some photos. I Should really get a better target.

Full Draw

I glued on some cork from a sanding block for a small handle and tiny shelf, and I used a small piece of suede as a side-plate. Draws and shoots very quiet and smoothly!

In my estimation, at ~15-20# lighter draw than my longbow, it shoots just as fast if not faster. I find it easier to aim as well, but maybe that's because of arrow spine.
And here it is next to my longbow.

So here's a note to any city-dwellers like me, you really can make bows anywhere. I live in a small inner-city apartment, with no yard, and I carry a small bucket of tools to the outdoor area or my parking space.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:49:12 pm by Julian »

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Bow #2, first ever Mollegabet! Spotted gum board, 62" ntn. 40# @ 27
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:52 am »
Congrats it is a design that's  hard to pull off I like your slow taper on the leaver fades maybe it's the pic but I'm seeing in your braced pic that your bottom limb is positive tiller not seeing it's weak maybe it's the pic & glad to see you made your draw weight congrats !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:01:24 am »
Nice bow :) you are shooting it well.
Good on you for doing what needs to be done with limited tools etc...Look what you can achieve with a bit of perseverance :)

Offline Julian

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:17 am »
It is positive tiller, that was deliberate. But I feel like the lower limb is stressed a bit too much; the binding on the lower limb is from a couple cracks in that area. epoxied them shut and wrapped it up and it was fine though.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:48:50 am »
I see what your saying now about the bottom limb I thought you meant weight wise these type bows are amazing in speed & stability , there addicting to make you should be proud of that one shoot & enjoy looking forward to the next ! Also I should probably post this on your tips & trick thread but I was taught with these leaver bows that you can put a 1/4 in shim ahead & under the leaver fades & heat bend the tips to get a bit more reflex in the tips , but with yours having the lower limb issue I don't think I would do it on that one !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:07:27 am »
Looks very good!your lever reduction looks spot on!i find once you build a few of them their design is incorporated in every bow in the future .nice work!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:53 am »
The only critique would be to shorten your handle,more wood to do the work.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Julian

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:46 am »
The only critique would be to shorten your handle,more wood to do the work.

That's a good point; I didn't really think about that.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:57:04 am »
Congrats! You made into a shooter and made it look nice too! Perfect in my book! And thumbs up for no excuses and going for it even though you live in an apartment and don't have a garden!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 04:09:00 pm »
Well done! Keep 'em coming like that.