Author Topic: Ideas for fur projects  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Ideas for fur projects
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:24:34 am »
I finally have a bit of free time opened up this year for trapping season. Since I'm done with school, finally, and am essentially healed up from my injuries. I don't plan to hit it hard, more of a hobby line of a couple dozen sets at a time. Mostly targeting muskrat, beaver, and hopefully otter. I've had horribly luck in the past with coyote and bobcat sets, but I'll try for them anyway. So hopefully I'll end up with a nice little pile of beaver, muskrat, and coon pelts. Along with whatever else I get ahold of. With prices so low, I'm planning on tanning and maki things from the furs. If I have my terminology correct, my main projects for myself, are a set of beaver fur mukluks to replace my shoes with or slip my moccasins into when I get on stand on te really cold days. Some muskrat mitttens or muff, and if I manage to get enough beaver pelts, I may make a small blanket and some throw pillows.The coons, coyotes and fox will probably become quivers. I'll keep what I want, use some for gifts and trading, then work on selling what's left to recoup some of the expenses from trapping. I'll still primitive tan some of the hides, but I'll probably use the rittels tannin kit for the bulk of the hides.

Anything else you all can think of that would be good projects to work on with the pelts? I've already got a ton of projects, what's a few more.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Ideas for fur projects
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:14 am »
Proper fur handling for selling and self tanning is a learned process and being your own worst critic will get you the best results for yourself and your reputation.
The rittles company has good products.Used them before myself.I found most of my projects looking into plains indian/mountain man accoutrament books.Converting them into useful durable items that suit my own taste.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:14 pm »
I finally have a bit of free time opened up this year for trapping season. Since I'm done with school, finally, and am essentially healed up from my injuries. I don't plan to hit it hard, more of a hobby line of a couple dozen sets at a time. Mostly targeting muskrat, beaver, and hopefully otter. I've had horribly luck in the past with coyote and bobcat sets, but I'll try for them anyway. So hopefully I'll end up with a nice little pile of beaver, muskrat, and coon pelts. Along with whatever else I get ahold of. With prices so low, I'm planning on tanning and maki things from the furs. If I have my terminology correct, my main projects for myself, are a set of beaver fur mukluks to replace my shoes with or slip my moccasins into when I get on stand on te really cold days. Some muskrat mitttens or muff, and if I manage to get enough beaver pelts, I may make a small blanket and some throw pillows.The coons, coyotes and fox will probably become quivers. I'll keep what I want, use some for gifts and trading, then work on selling what's left to recoup some of the expenses from trapping. I'll still primitive tan some of the hides, but I'll probably use the rittels tannin kit for the bulk of the hides.

Anything else you all can think of that would be good projects to work on with the pelts? I've already got a ton of projects, what's a few more.

Thanks,
Kyle

Are you going to brain tan Your furs? Will you tan the quivers, or leave them raw? Coon, Fox, or coyote skin quiver is on my winter to do list.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:58 pm »
Kyle,
Medicine pouches, wampum bags, string silencers, even ear rings, and other foofawra for the ladies!  Fur lined mittens!   Waugh!!  May have to work a trade for a quiver, or a couple of hides to make one!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:42:54 am »
I use a possible bag while bow shooting and in the stand.That's why their called a possibles bag.Keep the buck grunt/doe bleat/and rattle sticks in there for use in case.They are for anything.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:47:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:46:39 pm »
I'm game with trading you some tanned hides or finished stuff. And if you want to try tanning some yourself I can send some raw stuff too. I'll have to get some possibles bags going too. I've got all sorts of stuff I can make.

Kyle

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:32:01 pm »
A few ideas. If you do Face book I will introduce you to
 the lady that made my hides cool imo
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.