Author Topic: Maple i.d.?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Maple i.d.?
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:56:45 am »
Plan to trim the maple in the yard and should have gotten pictures.  Are bark and leaves the best way to I.d.?  It puts out a bunch of "helicopters" in the spring and the squirrels seem to feed in it year round.  Got 2 branches about 6,8" diameter that are coming off.  It's either bow wood or fire wood.  Will try to add pictures this p.m.   Can't hunt the squirrels in town, dang it (SH) >:D!
Hawkdancer
PS  should have posted this when I thought about in the summer :)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Maple i.d.?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:40:04 pm »
Leaves are far and away the best way for maple.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 02:48:50 pm »
The trouble with a "front yard"maple is that it could be anything from Vine Maple to some cultivar from Siberia to a variety of Japanese Maple. I think as long as it isn't a Big Leaf Maple it's probably worth a shot. A quick look on the net says that the only native Maple to Colorado is Rocky Mountain Maple and I believe it's a good one.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/Z9UXqzd.jpg   Here's pics of the tree, I hope,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »
The bark is different than anything I'm familiar with.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 08:12:32 pm »
Silver Maple I'd say.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:50:45 pm »
Are the samaras (helicopters) big or small.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/Z9UXqzd.jpg  More pics I hope.   The samaras are about 1.25 - 1.75 inches  of average.  The leaves on the suckers are much larger than those on the roast of the tree.  We had a very cloudy day today, but I think it may be developing red buds or pods as the leaves dropped.  Also got to mulch the leaves for compost!  Thanks!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:34 am »
Looks like a type of silver maple to me. An arborist once told me there a several varieties and their bark can differ. If it has less palmate leaves then other maples, its silver maple. Also if it's in your front yard it's almost certainly silver maple because people plant them for their fast growth compared to say hard maple. Lastly, if it's constantly dropping dead branches on your lawn, it's probably silver maple.

Cheers.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
So, the next steps are:  a. Cut it, b. Debarked it, c. Stave it, season it, d. Make bow and see what the heck happens :BB >:D (--)!, (bow wood or firewood, you tell me).   Either way, I gain some experience!  Seal the ends and back?   We begin the saga of the "Mystery Maple" !
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 11:33:36 am »
OPPs!  Thanks for the info, everybody!  Will keep a cut along/build along going for your entertainment! >:D
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 11:42:05 am »
Silver Maple is not worth wasting time on.

Red Maple is marginally stronger and the two are crossbred for use as lawn trees but I'm almost certain this is just a Silver.