Author Topic: Sinew or rawhide  (Read 3942 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Sinew or rawhide
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:17 am »
I use single ply sisal binder twine, used for packing hay or straw bales. I just use it from my straw bales. Cut to length (25 cm), comb a bit, wash in hot water with detergent, dry, and apply as with sinew. Reverse bracing the bow at application adds pretension.
It’s more elastic than flax, just a bit coarse.
http://tytanintl.info/?product=binder-twine

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 03:46:33 am »
joachimM
So I should reverse brace? Would this work if I processed the fibers myself ???

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 07:58:55 am »
Reverse bracing is not essential, and will only have a small effect. If you just want to protect the back, don't bother.
You can process the fibers yourself, but why spend all that time pounding, shredding, washing etc... when you can have it nearly for free? Moreover, the agave juice can make your skin hypersensitive to UV. I did it once (won't do it again). I pounded leaves in the sun, and had blisters all over my arms that evening, from tiny drops of juice that spat on my arms...

You can also use sisal binding cordage (usually two plies), you'll have a bit more work untwisting it and getting long enough fibers to work with.

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 12:46:06 pm »
abaca from the Philippines was once the rope making fiber of choice. perhaps some varieties that excel for that purpose still exist.
"The fiber was originally used for making twines and ropes; now most is pulped and used in a variety of specialized paper products...............

interesting read here
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Manila_Hemp
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:02:01 pm by willie »

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:50 pm »
joachimM
I would use sisal cordage but I can’t find any here. I was actually going to use yucca not agave. I just so happen to enjoy processing yucca, gives me something to do on rainy days.
willie
While most abaca is used for paper now, the strong, twine varieties are still pretty common and cheap here. The trees are also easy to come by. They’re 5 to 6 feet tall and yield a lot of fiber. Getting one of these is as simple as asking or paying my neighbors to let me, cut one. The fruits are small and inedible.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:32 am »
Any of the backings sounds ok for what you want to do,[protect the back]I would just be concerned about lard for sealing it, I would think it would soak in and cause the material to get soft and also the glue to fail, just a thought  :-\ , never tried lard over a backing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 07:13:26 am »
Thanks for the tip Pappy. I just wanted to use lard to keep it simple and cheap ;D. I guess I’ll use poly or spar urethane. Then again, my friends here know me for leaving my bows untreated >:D. I guess I’ll use abaca or yucca since it’s cheap.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 08:23:53 am »
A can of spray varnish only cost a few bucks and will seal 4 or 5 bows. A small bottle of Tru-Oil only cost about $10 and will seal 6 or more bows. Sometimes going cheap will cost you a lot more in the long run.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:14 am »
I’ll try to find some then. Our bow building supplies here are... incomplete (pretty much why I’m using hide glue)