Author Topic: accidentally made a 60# bow  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Julian

accidentally made a 60# bow
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:00:57 am »
Hey, so I recently posted the longbow I made.

My scale arrived today, and the bow weighed in at 60#

I'm a healthy, fit guy but I'm quite new to trad shooting so I was wondering if I should lighten my bow. Otherwise I thought I'd make a new one, and aim for say, 35#, and shoot that one to build up form. I went to the range today and while I had no issues drawing my bow, I was starting to get sore in the neck before an hour was up so I feel like I should drop down in weight a bit.

thoughts?

On the other hand, the bow feels great, makes a really satisfying thud in the target haha.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: accidentally made a 60# bow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:41 am »
Don't drop to 35#, that's going from one extreme to the other ::).
Just use this bow a little at a time for a say a week then study it and re-work it to drop 5-10# It gives you a chance to improve the tiller if needed and it's not much of a job to rasp off little evenly from the belly.
A bow often needs a little fiddling and fettling after it's had 100 arrows through it.
Funny enough, I had a call from a guy last week. I'd made him a 60# with a Yew stave that he'd cut, he brought it back a while later and asked me to take off 5#.
He wants me to make him another now he's cut and seasoned another stave. He says he regrets having 5# taken off the first one ::)
The moral is, only ever take off half what you think you want.
Del
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:41:23 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:46 am »
Thanks Del, will do :~)

Watching your youtube videos really helped me out, by the by!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:17:23 am »
Great advice from Del I have found with these self bows that tolerable draw weight is a must for me other wise my form is off and with non center cut bows every minor flaw in form and release is amplified not getting the arrow where I want it , I don't have the time to shoot every day so working up to a new draw weight is off the table for me it may be different for you , but shooting a bow that's to heavy for you,you can develope bad form that's hard to get rid of later , but maybe different for you !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:30:59 am »
Thanks Del, will do :~)

Watching your youtube videos really helped me out, by the by!
Cheers :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:51:07 am »
  If I could shoot a bow or an hour before I started getting sore I would figure it was about the right draw weight. Regular shooting should solve that in short time. I got badly out of shooting shape the last couple years and am struggling to work my way back. I can't even shoot for an hour LOL.

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:59:54 am »
  If I could shoot a bow or an hour before I started getting sore I would figure it was about the right draw weight. Regular shooting should solve that in short time. I got badly out of shooting shape the last couple years and am struggling to work my way back. I can't even shoot for an hour LOL.

I do feel as though the issue would go away if I got my stance / posture correct. I know I tend to tighten up and that's why my neck is sore.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:31:46 am »
Your neck is sore because you only draw one handed. I had the same problem big time because I would shoot for hours. One of the early superstars of traditional archery (Paul Bruner) recommend adding right and left hand drawing during a shooting session to even up the muscle development side to side.

I shoot ten arrows as a righty and pull my bow at least 5 or 6 times as a lefty just before I pull arrows.

One riddle with a perpetually stiff neck I tried his advice and my stiff neck problems disappeared.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 12:08:17 pm »
Is your accuracy with non dominant hand worse because of it?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:38 pm »
if the bow shoots well for you,, keep it or take off a few pounds,, I shoot close to 60# and enjoy it,,I have bows that are less if I want,, to work on my form,, or to shoot longer,, it is different for eveyone,, do what works best for you,,
I shoot my heavier bows just as accurate as the lighter ones,,, maybe better,, I just cant shoot as many arrows,, so I like having both,,, pulling with the off hand is a good idea,, also,,,stop before you start hurting and build up to shooting longer in a gradual way,,, if you want to shoot longer, ,then shoot less arrows per round,,say 3 or 2 instead of 5,,,
many times I am shooting one arrow at a time,,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 05:23:04 pm »
Your neck is sore because you only draw one handed. I had the same problem big time because I would shoot for hours. One of the early superstars of traditional archery (Paul Bruner) recommend adding right and left hand drawing during a shooting session to even up the muscle development side to side.

I shoot ten arrows as a righty and pull my bow at least 5 or 6 times as a lefty just before I pull arrows.

One riddle with a perpetually stiff neck I tried his advice and my stiff neck problems disappeared.

Gonna tuck that away for later. Makes a lot of sense. Except I might just switch to a slightly lighter bow and shoot a few arrows from the "off side" for giggles.  Always wondered if with enough practice someone could shoot ambidextrous.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:17 pm »
When you are starting off drawing from the "off" side, make sure you take it easy - I think I pulled at least ten valuable (to me) muscles the first time I tried it, since they weren't used to that task. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:13 pm »
I made a guy a bow that would shoot off both sides,, he shot target lefty and hunted  righty

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 12:27:56 am »
Gonna tuck that away for later. Makes a lot of sense. Except I might just switch to a slightly lighter bow and shoot a few arrows from the "off side" for giggles.  Always wondered if with enough practice someone could shoot ambidextrous.

We had a member of our skeet club go blind in his right eye. He started shooting lefty. At first it was hard to watch, but over the course of a year his scores went from zeros to average. He was never as good as he was with his dominant eye, but after practice it was hard to tell he wasn't a natural lefty.
I tried shooting left-handed once. I had a hard time with everything from stance to shouldering to swing. I was barely able to get my left finger to pull the trigger.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Julian

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:42 am »
glad to see my mistakes generate some good discussion :P

started work on a new bow today, now I've got a scale I can work it out to a more reasonable weight for taking to the range