Author Topic: Thinnest strike plate material to quiet draw.  (Read 3741 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Thinnest strike plate material to quiet draw.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 07:54:52 am »
Morgan, are you using wooden arrows? They don't make a whole lot of noise on the draw.

My arrows are silent on the draw and on release (tuning). I use leather. I cut it to shape.  I sand the back to get it nice and thin.  I apply it with a thin running super glue. I also apply the glue to the front to harden the strike plate so it does not wear.
I use a flat piece of metal to smooth it to.

I've done it that way for years.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 09:31:46 am »
Thanks for the ideas guys. Going to try the moleskin and Velcro on my next days off. I shoot both wood and carbon George. Both make noise. The carbon more than wood, but the wood still makes enough to alert deer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:25 am »
I will shoot "whatever" all year long on my shelf/strikeplate, but when season rolls around Velcro goes on. It has to be absolutely silent to be a good hunting bow. I draw my bow in our bedroom closet in total silence to listen for anything. Most of us are looking for an 8-12 yard shot and they can hear a tick fart at that distance.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:04 am »
I will shoot "whatever" all year long on my shelf/strikeplate, but when season rolls around Velcro goes on. It has to be absolutely silent to be a good hunting bow. I draw my bow in our bedroom closet in total silence to listen for anything. Most of us are looking for an 8-12 yard shot and they can hear a tick fart at that distance.
Honestly, I guess I was used to the sound because I didn’t notice it or was used to it. I was having some inconsistency shooting that wound up being arrow related, but I had taken a video of myself to try to pinpoint problems with release etc. sound doesnt come through the best on my cellphone video, but the sound of drawing the arrow was noticeable, so I know that it is loud enough to spook.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Got some sticky Velcro and she’s silent now. Shows some wear after a hundred or so arrows, but it’s cheap, easy to change, and works great. I expected the added thickness to throw my point of aim / impact off, but it don’t seem like it has. Parodox is a funny thing. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:29 pm »
or cut the hair shorter,, I use some calf skin with hair, it works nice,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 09:50:02 am »
The original fuzz wears off quick, but it will still be silent for long after. If you ever need to shorten the fuzz up, a beard trimmer will trim it right down tight to the fabric backing, but still leave enough to remain silent.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.