Author Topic: Thinnest strike plate material to quiet draw.  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Morgan

Thinnest strike plate material to quiet draw.
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
I am wondering what the thinnest material is that I can use to quiet my draw. A friend of mine has a food plot that he isn’t going to hunt this year. Has some pretty poor bucks spending a lot of time on it and asked me if I wanted to hunt it. I recently made an eastern woodlands inspired bow from a tree that grew about 20 yards from that plot. I want to use this bow but it is loud on the draw and I absolutely would get busted without something to quiet it. I don’t want to carve into the side of a working limb for a recessed plate, and would like to not glue something on that won’t work. The arrow pass area is about 1 3/8” or so and I’d like to not make it too much wider. Would a thin cloth work? Or maybe very thin leather. I’m thinking the thinner the material, the less it will be effective at damping the sound.

Offline PatM

Re: Thinnest strike plate material to quiet draw.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »
Just wrap something on and test it out. Thin chamois from a car cloth, buckskin, moleskin patch from the drug store etc.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »
Try some of that adhesive backed moleskin. You should be able to find it at any drug store or pharmacy near the foot care products I would think. It's thin, non-permanent, and should lessen the noise considerably. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:35 pm »
You beat me to it Pat. :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:38 pm »
Just wrap something on and test it out. Thin chamois from a car cloth, buckskin, moleskin patch from the drug store etc.
Moleskin! I think I have some of that. It’s be an easy try too. Thanks. That also made me think of the sticky fabric off of a fabric bandaid. Thank you. I get mental block sometimes and was picturing gluing on and scraping off multiple materials before I found a fix.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:54 pm »
Thin Whitetail Brain tan.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:27 am »
you may also use a very thin layer of felt

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:40 am »
tape on, Velcro works well too, the fuzzy part.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
I’m thinking the thinner the material, the less it will be effective at damping the sound.

It really depends on the material.  I haven't seen how long it lasts, but I have 1/64" cork on a bow I have and it does an adequate job of dampening the arrow pass.

As others have said, thin leather is good, too.  I have an old leather jacket that I take scraps off of for grips and whatnot and it measures a hair wider than 1/32" (.032" to be exact... or approx .81 mm for our metric friends!).  I've had no problem with durability and noise with this leather.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »
i cant add anything but do agree drawing the arrow quitely,, makes a difference on deer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »
Morgan,
Is the arrow shaft making noise as you draw?

Or is the arrow making a loud noise on release?

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:17 pm »
   Same question as George, on release I find the arrow usually clears the arrow pass area.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:24:27 pm »
It’s the rub on the draw thanks making the sound that I was referring to. I can’t tell if it’s making any sound on release, but I don’t think it is.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 06:01:48 am »
Nothing works better than velcro. Leather is only good for so long then it wears to a hard surface and gets loud. Suede leather will work a bit longer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 07:27:25 am »
You can also use pieces of hair on hide of various types. Sealskin was popular and you can still occasionally find bits of that.
  Deerskin from a part where the hair is really short might be worth a try.  Lower legs or facial area.