Author Topic: Almost/Live and learn  (Read 2714 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Almost/Live and learn
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:35 am »
Last night I put a judgemental shot at a nice 8 point buck while it really was too dark out.I flesh wounded him along his side.Should of known better to let him go but he was within 8 to 10 yards I thought.Almost too much straight up and down shot from the stand really too.
He had just got done harrassing some does by me.Think he'll be ok though.He ended up after bolting 50 to 60 feet stopping then walking away slowly out of site.Blood trail clotted up and played out after 75 to 80 yards.
Nothing disturbed much other then that.Pretty sure they'll all be back.He had no idea where that shot came from.
Live and learn as they say.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:11:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Almost/Live and learn
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:19:37 am »
I know exactly what you are saying Ed. At the other extreme I'm sometimes kicking my butt I didn't take the shot. All we can really do is try our best and hope it all works out. I'm pretty sure way more are injured from vehicles than selfbows and most of the selfbow injuries heal up. We still pray for a clean kill or a clean miss.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:22:41 am »
Yea it's all good.I'm pretty sure I saw him this morning already.Nice cool front came through and many deer moving this morning.I don't think I'll shoot at him again though this season.If I were to tan that hide there might be a terrifically big hole to sew up.....lol.Maybe next season.He'll be even bigger yet then and completely healed up too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:07:07 pm »
yes he earned his pass,,,,but if he insist on staying in front of you,, you might have to shoot,, :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:57:41 am »
Ya it has been a tough year for me also, much worse than your ED, I have missed 2 skipped off the back of 2 and hit one square in the shoulder with only broad head penetration.  :( Not sure what I am doing but all I know to do is keep trying,I don't want to give up so I just get back on the horse and ride. ;) I have killed a bunch of deer in my time with this equipment so it's not like I don't know how, just can't seem to get it together this year. :-\ I am pretty hard headed so headed back to the stand in a few minutes and see if I can do better. On yours, deer are very tough , I have seen several on 3 legs, cut off from hay cutters and all kinds of other injuries that they seem to be no worse for wear. If you don't hit a vital organ or a main blood vessel they will usually make it OK.  :) Pick a spot and come to full draw, that is what I keep telling my self. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 06:14:43 am »
Yes.Well I read somewhere someeone wanted to hear the other side of the story once in a while.I'm not a quitter myself either.On my way out the door. :OK
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:25:46 am »
Thanks for sharing that Pappy. I'm sure you don't take that lightly. This stuff is so weird sometimes. Just a lot of mojo. Seems like sometimes the most valuable tool in the box is confidence. You can do it we all know that. You'll get em next time.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:30 am »
One thing...... Us fellas are in areas where there are a fair amount of deer per square mile and access to it too and I feel thankful for that situation. I put myself here with that in mind though too.At least this year I've still got all my arrows.Last year I lost three.
It only takes us here 2 or 3 deer a year to satisfy us.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:57 am »
yes I missed my fair share,,,, even when my shooting was at its best,, sometimes just takes a while to get in tune with the hunting shots,,