Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Question on fletching theory

<< < (2/4) > >>

avcase:
One year, one of the Flight archers shot these very short arrows with a long overdraw device called a majra that resembles a tube that was split in half lengthwise. The arrow is nocked to the string and the majra is drawn back with the arrow. He was using a modern bow and very short graphite arrows with no fletching and a heavy point. They seemed to fly pretty well and I believe landed over 300 yards away. His regular length feathered arrows didn’t go quite as far, although they were also heavier so it wasn’t a completely fair comparison.

Once an arrow is stabilized, it is continuously being forced to change its direction due to the curved arc of its trajectory. There are also atmospheric disturbances that occur. The wind a couple hundred yards above the ground is usually different than on the ground where the arrow is launched. I’ve seen Flight arrows do a little dance after they initially stabilize as they encounter turbulence or layers of changing wind direction.  We often find arrows pointing in unexpected directions where they land. Sometimes even pointing the opposite direction that they should have been travelling.

Alan

sleek:
Longer is always better. Things move faster through a fluid the longer they are.

willie:
I was looking for info on laminar flow, (which could be a good thing when designing an arrow for flight), and found this report that has some interesting observations about fletching choices. Are the gas-pro vanes  being used in the non-primitive classes?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705813010680#

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: willie on October 19, 2017, 04:37:08 pm ---I was looking for info on laminar flow, (which could be a good thing when designing an arrow for flight), and found this report that has some interesting observations about fletching choices. Are the gas-pro vanes  being used in the non-primitive classes?

--- End quote ---
Another "scientific" article written by someone who doesn't understand what the Archer's Paradox is....  >:(
Del

avcase:

--- Quote from: willie on October 19, 2017, 04:37:08 pm ---I was looking for info on laminar flow, (which could be a good thing when designing an arrow for flight), and found this report that has some interesting observations about fletching choices. Are the gas-pro vanes  being used in the non-primitive classes?

--- End quote ---

I feel the research these guys are doing in the wind tunnel is pretty well done. It gives some indication of the effect of arrow vibration on drag, which can be pretty significant. One thing I don’t understand in this report is why one type of vanes has such a dramatic effect compared to the other. I guess it may have to do with vibration from fluttering, but it is just a guess. I am not aware of anyone who tried Gaspro vanes in flight shooting. The king of vanes used for Flight archery is another type of very stiff Mylar vane that does not have a curled shape.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version