Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Question on fletching theory

<< < (4/4)

JNystrom:
So... two fletch, anyone? Not the traditional, but the style Monus uses.

joachimM:

--- Quote from: avcase on October 17, 2017, 12:43:52 pm ---... the most efficient vane is rather tall and short ... But, with natural materials, this isn’t so easy to do, especially using feathers. I think the Turkish Flight arrow fletch profile is a pretty good compromise where feathers are concerned. It would require a very stiff feather to go much taller and shorter without fluttering.

Alan

--- End quote ---

So if stiffness of feather vanes is an issue, why not reinforce them with the most obvious resource to primitive bowyers: (tacky) hide glue?
It might even allow us to use thinner feathers, e.g. chicken or duck wing instead of turkey / goose, the latter being much thicker and causing more drag.

Badger:
   I was thinking similar, Hide glue on vanes should be fine. I was going to try shellac.

willie:
It might even allow us to use thinner feathers,   :OK

JNystrom, sounds like something worth trying.

Aussie Yeoman:
Years ago I was able to examine a crossbow and bolts from Vietnam, brought back from the war as trinkets.

The bolts had a fletching of thinly split bamboo folded into a triangle, bound into a slot. Of course this mean the bolts were double-fletched. The shape of the vanes were short in length but stood high off the shaft, much like the shape of a concord. It was set as close to the back of the bolt as could conveniently be done so secure with a wrapping behind it.

I thought it was fascinating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version