Author Topic: Opinions on a knot, persimmon  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Opinions on a knot, persimmon
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »
I'm curious how you all would treat this knot. It's mom a persimmon flatbow that will end up 45#. On tre belly side the know looks bad, on the back it comes out as a little pin knot. It's only pulling 45# at about 10" on the long string, so I've got some material to remove and hope it cleans up a bit. For now I've shot some super glue in it and plan to make it flex a bit, but remain stiff compared to the rest of the limb. As you can see in the picture, it is just past midlimb where it will start to taper once I fit and finallize the nocks. For now I put in some super glue and will work on it tomorrow afternoon for a bit.
So what do you all think?

Thanks for the advice
Kyle

Offline Hamish

Re: Opinions on a knot, persimmon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
It looks like you have left enough extra wood around that knot. I'd just tiller it out as normal from here one, but stay aware for hinges.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:28:04 pm »
I can only speak from personal experience with other woods, never worked persimmon. But... knots like that scare me. Mostly because they're not easy to remove. Most of the times I've made a bow with some knot that wasn't completely removed (and extra wood left around it), the bow has failed. If you're not able to get it all out, I'd do you suggested, and as Jawge recommends... don't allow the bow to bend much in that spot.

Good luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 04:06:53 am »
I have done several and never on Persimmon had one stay together with a knot like that. They are always rotten on the inside, looks like you have done all you can do, just keep it stiff in that section and it might work. ;) :) If it bend there I can almost guarantee it won't hold, Just been my experience . :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »
I am 0 for 2 on persimmon. I can tell you what won't work with the stuff. Too short, too much crown and too many punky knots. Our Texas persimmon is mostly all short twisted knotty small diameter stuff, so getting around these issues is tuff. Both of mine broke when nearly finished. I will go longer on the next one as the knots can't be avoided. It will take some set but it responds well to tempering...until that high crown just can't take the strain. Tension breaks on both. Long enough? Yet to be determined. The knots like that are just waiting to snap in my opinion.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:14:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I definitely need to watch this knot then. So far I'm 2 for 2 with persimmon. Boyh were English longbows though with a rounded belly and built with some extra length. One came out at 60# at 1.125" wide and the other 130# at 1.75 or 1.875" wide. Both took set but nothing extreme. This is the first flatbow attempt though. I may end up binding this knot to help it hold as the illering progresses. But I'll just see what happens as I go.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:42:16 pm »
that looks a little scary,, but i have tried worse,,
it would not hurt to wrap that area,, it might not help either,, that being said,, I had a bow with an issue that caused a hinge to start in an areal like that,,, I sinew backed that area and it stiffened up enough to make a bow and is still shooting,,,so I guess we never know for sure,,

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »
I'm wondering if it would be worth digging out the black pithy stuff and opening it up a bit to fill with superglue and some hard powdered stuff. I feel like that'll be a more solid for compression. Area than leaving it natural.
It's definitely looking better as I rasp down. I got it pulling 45# at 14" before I quit for the day. Here it is now.

Kyle

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:51 pm »
I'd dig it out and check the depth with calipers at least then you'd know exactly what you're working with. You are much more experienced than I am though

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:58 am »
In the picture I can see a variance in color going in a line from the hole to about 2" down. It almost looks like a crack but not really. Is it something or mayby just a tool mark that's catching the light?