Author Topic: Osage kid's bow build-along (finished pics added)  (Read 6334 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Osage kid's bow build-along
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
Thanks for looking horseapples. Yeah, I never realized how tricky making a kid's bow was until I tried it. As Knoll mentioned, a few too many scrapes in one spot and... craaaaaacckkkkk. What's worked for me has been approaching everything just like I would a big boy bow, only smaller. And I go a lot slower on the tillering. Knowing a good starting thickness at the handle helps. Which reminds me...

Will, the handle is a tad over 5/16" thick tapering to almost exactly 4/16 (1/4) a few inches from the tips where it remains constant. That gives you a good idea of how subtle and challenging the tillering is. Just a little over 1/16" difference from handle to tips!

Putting the handle wrap on now while I watch some tube with wifey.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 04:06:55 am »
Congrats on the build, those small bows are sooo hard to make, that draw weight seems perfect.  One trick I learned with kids bows is to not heat temper it initially, then, when they get stronger, give it a gentle heat treatment and add a few pounds  ;)

Offline Will B

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 06:07:16 am »
Thanks Jeff.  Great job on that bow!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:50 am »
Funny you should mention that Andrew. My daughter's been getting much more comfortable with her hickory bow so I heat treated it the other day and it definitely picked up a few pounds.  :OK

You're most welcome Will. Best of luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Parnell

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 08:08:25 am »
I love posts like this.  I've made a couple of wood bows for nephews over the years and they are a challenge.  I've actually got one that needs to be finished up, now.  Good stuff!  They are lucky kids.
1’—>1’

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
Lucky kid - well made bro!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »
Great work dad

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Osage kid's bow build-along (finished pics added)
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone. There's just something so cool about handing a bow to a kid and seeing that magical look in his or her eye. It's priceless. Here are some finished pics... I gave him a bit of help with the FD, but he's getting there. Pulls it about 3/4 of the way all by himself.  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:30:00 pm by upstatenybowyer »

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:18 pm »
4 more...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:47 pm »
And last, but not least...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 04:55:12 am »
You got a bullseye with that stick ... from standpoint of bowyer ... and as a FATHER.
Congrats, sir!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:57 am »
Thanks Knoll  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hans H

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:19 am »
Hey upstate,
very nice!, wish you lot of funny times together

two years ago I built a kids bow for my grandson, now he ist 4 years old. sometime he came over and say that he wish bowshooting with me, than I alway tell him that he have to go and bring his arrows back. What do you think was his answer?, „ I never saw that Robin Hood or Yakary went to pick up their arrows.............?"
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 07:16:37 am »
Cool little bow, lucky little guy, nice job dad!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2017, 08:04:22 am »
Great full draw picture.  Very nice.
1’—>1’