Author Topic: The Wife got a job  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
The Wife got a job
« on: October 01, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »
Carol's been retired for 6 years. Between setting up new house in Missouri, family, travel, and keeping me in line, she's been plenty busy.
But in last year or so ya could sense that she was getting bored. So it came as no great surprise when she announced that she was going to look for a job. But her requirements from said job were rather restrictive.

No work on Wednesday's ... that's bingo day.
No work on weekends or holidays ... that's family time.
No work on evenings .... that's when Rylie's ball games are.
I was not optimistic about her chances.

Wellllll, Carol has a job! She will be driving a bus!!!
Hauling (ahmmmm, transporting) elderly, infirm, and financially challenged in the community to do their shopping, healthcare, etc.
Talk about a perfect job! Given her "people" skills, I expect she will quickly become one of the best known drivers in the area. She can also park vehicle the size of a bus better than most men .... me, in particular.
Two weeks ago she took tests and got her Chauffer's License.
Last week we traveled to company's main office where she cleared hurdles of medical exam, drug test, and indoctrination.
This week it's back to their main office for 4 days of training.

Then she'll be behind the wheel!!
I can't wait to hear the stories she's gonna bring home.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:26:17 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: The Wife got a job
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »
That's awesome. Happy wife, happy life! I bet she will have plenty of entertaining stories to share.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:39 pm »
Good for her.  And you.  Maybe the extra income will finance more bow trips?  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:16:34 am »
Cool ... hail to the bus driver :)
Mrs Cat hasn't passed a test  :(, she's actually fine behind the wheel, but just didn't want to do the test... (but don't tell anyone). Means we can't share the driving.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:23:40 pm »
Good for her.  And you.  Maybe the extra income will finance more bow trips?  ;D
Probably need the extra income for all those fancy $1200 coolers. Good for her Knoll. I remember when my wife was pregnant with our last son. She grumbled about her job all the time. I told her to quit then and she said they wouldn't let her. Finally I told her if you don't quit I'll call them up myself and quit for you. After she quit then she missed it and was mad at me for "making her quit". Gee sometimes you just gotta wonder.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:59:34 pm »
Thats great Mike! Im sure she will have some great adventures! She will do great and if it makes her happy thats what counts.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »
Good for Carol, she prolly just needed a little less "grumpy time" lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »
Am soooo looking forward to seeing/hearing about her adventures on this new life path.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 12:56:51 am »
Now you get to be the sounding board!!  Jacie tried to get through the bus driver training for the local school district, passed al, the written stuff and got the CDL permit, but wasn't able to get through the road stuff,(read bs),  I probably couldn't do it!  She decided to reopen her cleaning business, that way she knows who the boss is!!  She said working for somebody else is lower than the pits, I didn't ask which pits!  She's in a better mood!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 10:48:22 pm »
Carol is staying at town where bus company is headquartered for the 4 days of her training. We talk each eve.
She may be bit overwhelmed with all the information, methods, requirements. But she understands that's part/parcel of new job.
Am confident she'll take it in stride and come out fine on other side.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:24:55 am »
Congratulations to her on the new job.  :OK

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »
Top priority for these bus companies is, not surprisingly, safety. Particularly insuring safety of passengers and general public. And, in particular, safety of physically handicapped while they are getting on, on, and getting off.

Today was driving exam. Ending with backup test ... both to the left and to the right.  Her examiner exclained, "You're no rookie! I have drivers with 30 yrs experience that couldn't do what you just did!!"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:11 pm »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 08:44:09 pm »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »
On our 1st date I had to parallel park into a space in middle of town.
By the time we were reasonably well positioned in the space, Carol was doubled over laughing with tears making a mess of the makeup.
I was seriously thinking, "This will be last date with THIS woman!"