Author Topic: First recurve kill  (Read 7069 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First recurve kill
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
I have wanted to kill a deer with a vintage recurve bow for a while.  Tonight I made it happen.  I was using a 1962 Bear Kodiak Magnum.  I was sitting in a valley below a small pond that's in the woods.  Nothing was moving.  It was very slow for the first hour or so.  At 6:00 a doe walked my direction from the pond.  She came straight down the hill at me and turned on a trail about 10 yards away.  I stood up when she went behind some trees.  She took a few more steps and gave me a nice broadside shot.  The next thing I see is my arrow disappearing behind her shoulder.  I knew it was a good hit.  She took off running up the hill to my left.  I could see red spraying out as she ran.  She dropped about 40 yards away.  The Zwickey 2 blade broadhead went through both lungs and split a rib longways.   

The doe is 1.5 years old.  She is easily recognizable by the blond patch of fur on her fore head.  She was a fawn last year.  It's not the biggest doe that I saw today but it's the only one who gave me a shot within my 15 yard comfort zone. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: First recurve kill
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:21 pm »
It'll be good eatin/rawhide/and sinew far as I'm concerned.Congratulations Clint!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:07:11 pm »
Thanks Ed.  I know it's not a selfbow kill but something about those old recurves got a hold of me this year.  Using a 55 year old bow is sort of like using a 100 year old draw knife.  It just felt better than using a new one.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »
Congrats, Mr Clint! Musta been satisfying to see where that arrow struck your target.
Hope you get lotsa enjoyment from the fruits of your labor.
Woulda been neat to be there with ya and get picture of the action.   >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:14 pm »
Nice shooting, Clint. She'll be good eating.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:46 pm »
Good hunt!  There's a lot to be said for those old bows.  Mine is in that same era, I think, but green and left handed!  Somewhere in my plunder, loot and stuff, I have 6 Zwicky broad heads from the '50's, got them with the first bow I bought, still got it.  Making meat is great.  Be good eating, too!
Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:29:25 am »
Good Job Clint  :OK ! I love those Old Bears too - with the History of Bear here in Michigan. I'm sure Fred smiles a bit, every time an oldie kills a Deer - You know, "He's in the Wind"  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 06:55:44 am »
Way to go Clint.  I knew you would get one with one of those old bows.  I just didn't know what one you would use to get the job done.
Congrats buddy
DBar
Oh by the way like that camo thing you got going on
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 07:11:25 am »
Congratulations, Clint. I know what you mean about those old bows. I'm going to try and make it happen with my '59 and vintage arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 07:19:38 am »
Awesome, congrats Clint! Nice shot to!
Just because we make our own bows and archery equipment dosent mean that we can't enjoy using other more modern type equipment as well.  Great job again buddy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 07:23:32 am »
Congrats Clint!
That's a nice looking doe.
I've never hunted with a recurve before, I might have to give it a try sometime.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 07:49:08 am »
Great shot!  (SH) :-D I'm picturing a savory venison stew with cattail roots, wild onions, and chanterelles.  -C- Not to mention a few sinew-backed bows and pair of brain-tanned chaps.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:06 am »
Nice job Clint Bear. Ol' Fred is proud of you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 08:16:04 am »
Nice shootin Clint, and like  your camo. Bob  ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:52:37 am »
Thanks guys. 

Bob,  the deer seem to like them.  I've killed 4 while wearing home made camo.