Author Topic: Is Crepe Myrtle interlocking grain  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Badger

Is Crepe Myrtle interlocking grain
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:19:39 pm »
  I have a big log coming and want to be mentally prepared for the splitting, it is is anything like elm I may pass if it is too big.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is Crepe Myrtle interlocking grain
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
Steve, I've never tried splitting crepe myrtle but I don't think it has interlocking grain like elm. Being it has smooth bark it might be difficult telling if it has any twist until you split it.  I don't even know if I've ever seen a crepe myrtle bow from split out stave. Most have been reduced from poles.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
I've got a small log of it.  It's started to split itself from drying.  I haven't tried splitting it the rest of the way yet.  To me it doesn't look like interlocking grain.   It feels very dense.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Limbit

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »
I use it all the time in Taiwan. It splits no problem. About the same as mulberry but a bit more stringy. I've done some volleyball sized logs before as well with no issues. It is odd wood though. It may look like it is spiral grained, but when you go about splitting it, it sometimes isn't what it appears to be on the outside and splits without a twist. I've learned to disregard my initial impression of the grain.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
   The piece was 14" diameter, 4 ft long so I will have to make billets from it. Very easy to split once I get the axe started straight. I just drove the axe into one side and it split all the way down in one shot.

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:49:34 am »
Yep! It is normally only an issue if it has some defects in the wood. It tends to grow with bulges (burl?) in the wood as well as being quiet veiny. Makes it hard to know how to split, but it seems to split just fine besides that and I've never had any sort of an issue with it. Strange wood to work. It doesn't seem like any other wood I've worked in it's properties and it is surprisingly durable. Takes some set though.