Author Topic: BOW Project  (Read 2336 times)

Brokenbow

BOW Project
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:27:02 pm »
I have a nice and streight Masquite (SPELLING?) Log, how do i go about making a Bow out of it?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: BOW Project
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:05 pm »
First of all....it's Mesquite....and second....you start by sending it to Me!!! I live in Texas and cant barely find a piece of Mesquite that is straight enough for a Walking Stick....let alone a Bow!!

Is this a Log?? If so you need to split it and seal the ends and let it cure...before you ever start to make a Bow from it....and Mesquite is notorious for splitting while drying ...so seal the Crap out of it...to keep the Checking down to a Minimum....and hold tight for more answers from more people that know a lot more than I do!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Brokenbow

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:23:59 am »
Hi, This Log i have is about 4' long and about 6" in diameter, it looks like it is sreight  but will it split sraight or should i cutt it with a Bandsaw? can i use Beeswax to seal the ends?  How long should i wait to let it cure before i mill  a Bow from it?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:47:55 am »
Broken bow call an ole' Creek bowyer named Ed Scott hes in yer neck of woods and uses the wood. Hes a paid advertiser in the Pa mag can find his # there I think. LOL ! HE will luv it when he find out He is bein' called an ole' Creek bowyer.......bob ;D ;D ;D