Author Topic: First Hophornbeam bow.  (Read 6975 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
First Hophornbeam bow.
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:13 am »
I got this stave a while back from Marco(Dubois). It was a great stave but my shop is so dry and hot in the summer it developed a little dogleg I removed with dry heat. When I got it to floor tiller I heat treated the belly to the point of a little charring and a wonderful smell. I love this wood and want more. It gives off a wonderful smell while working it too. It developed a little set but considering it is 59" ntn and 1 5/16" at the widest spot, I don't think it's bad for 51#@27". when it's resting on it's belly the handle is still the lowest contact.
  A tad over 59" ntn. Fast flight string. Tips are buffalo horn with bighorn sheep horn over that. Bison handle, sinew sewn. Old piano key handle pass I got from Clint(Osage Outlaw). sealed with 5 coats of tung oil. 51# @ 27". I've found these sharp recurves add a bit to a bow like this. I know arrow speed is not everything but I like to test it anyway. I used regular target arrows of poplar and maple for the test(same arrows as one of the photos). I threw out the highest and lowest shots. 472 grain arrow all the rest of the shots were between 175-187fps. 602 grain arrow 161fps average. I tried a cedar flight type arrow I made 413 grains drawn 25.5" with a weight of 45# and got over 200fps.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: First Hophornbeam bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:21 am »
Sorry photos are not great. Still need to figure out the new compression site.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:27:51 am »
Forgot to say it's almost center shot arrow pass.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:04 am »
That photo makes it look like a flat spot on the top limb, so here is the other side full draw

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:03 am »
Very nice bow Chuck. By far my favorite style, simple, nice short curves, and not over 60". Perfect.
Eric

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:47:53 am »
Very nice bow Chuck. I love the smell of HHB toasted in the morning. It really is a great smell and it really seems to like a heat treatment. Glad to see another HHB fan.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:19 pm »
 Really nice bow! Love the horn combo on the tips. Recurves are my favourite and this is my kind of bow. Impressive how you guys make them so short, have to try that soon because it looks great!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »
Not too shabby for a simple horn bow builder :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:21:57 pm »
Wow very nice bow, nice tiller and fast too! Did you have difficulty with the wood for the recurves? Can you explain a bit more what method you used? I have heard before that HHB is not the easiest to recurve, but then I might be wrong since I have never tried it. Also I would be interested to hear more details on how you heat treated the bow. I have never tried it and would like to try it on one of my HHB bows soon.

All my bows are made from HHB from my own bush. I am like you, I love to work with the wood and its snow white colour is beautiful!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:37:34 pm »
Pretty much up to your usual standards with this one. Which is to say a cut above most!  She's a beauty and ought to throw a heck of a lot of arrows over her lifetime with reasonable care and feeding!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »
Not too shabby for a fresh self bow.Like the contrasts of color.Nice work!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 03:31:20 pm »
Nice curves on that one. And those arrow speeds, dang!
Gotta love it.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 04:56:34 pm »
Man, you did that HHB justice! By far my favorite smelling wood, especially when heat treating. I really dig the tips.  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »
Very nice looking bow

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:11 pm »
Great job on that one.  That looks like a very nice piece of HHB.

I've had a lot of HHB under my heat-gun, it is one of the best species for heat-treating
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com