Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 2286 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Binoculars
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:49 pm »
Hey everyone.  I'm a forester who does various inventory contracts around the country.  I was using compact binoculars to spot tree twigs up high in Arkansas during the winter, to ID certain species by the buds.  This worked really well, however I bet I can get better results than the $12 walmart pair.  I'm looking at either Cabela's intensity 8x25 or Vortex diamondback 8x28.  They have to be compact as this is already a luxury to make room for on my extensive list of gear I carry.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands?  I think I've decided on the 8x.  10x would be nice but I think issues with shaking and light intake would not be worth it.  I've got a Cabela's gift card AND a $20 off coupon. 

Offline aaron

Re: Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:57 am »
I have vortex DB and love 'em. clear and bright, easy on the eyes. Once I dropped 'em in mud- they were 1/2 submerged in pudding-like muck. Left 'em in the bottom of the canoe for a few days, and when I got home put them in a bucket of water overnight. Swished 'em around and they're good as new. pretty heavy, tho.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:15 am »
For the price vortex are hard to beat. A friend of mine has the diamond backs, and they are great Binos, and I use the Viper HD and they up
There with the quality of way more expensive brands. I'd go the vortex route over cabelas. Plus the warranty is unbeatable.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »
In my experience compact binos can be hard on the eyes. I have a pair of Tasco, 10x25 that are nice binocs but will tire out my eyes easily with extended use. I now use a Burris 10x25 that are twice as big but not so tiring. With a good shoulder strap or a bino harness they are easily carried without much trouble.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
Just wondering if a good camera would do better. Get your best snap and log it .
Then you could study it all later with super zoom on a big screen puter.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »
Zeiss makes good ones...check online
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 03:16:33 am »
Zeiss make the best glass goin'. I've been using a Pair made in 1926 (WWII era sent home by My Uncle) for 50 years - still clearer than most. The Germans have a lock on Quality Binos  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:57 am »
I'm paid by the plot and so accuracy combined with speed is the name of the game.  I need to just shoot the buds and move on.  It's usually not that difficult, although I used em alot when I was first learning species.  Every now and then I can't get an instant ID on the bark, or theres some hog or deer that is fun to stop and watch.