Author Topic: Must be the week  (Read 1377 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Must be the week
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:51:24 pm »
A few mornings ago I relocated this little guy. Seems like there's a week every year when I find these guys on the driveway, must be the week. This one wasn't as lucky, it was dead on the driveway by our shop. Crazy busy but just had to quick skin him and pin him.
Sorry Buddy but I'll try to make something nice with you. Might need one of your buddies yet to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

Re: Must be the week
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
I know you are not a depression kid but you are amazing
with what you can save from nature. And your ability to
share it is not to shabby either. Thanks for sharing BJ
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:53 pm »
Nice job skinning and tacking that little guy. It's not easy when they're that size, the skin is wicked thin and tears easily. There's no shortage of garters in the world so I for one wouldn't blame ya if you found another to keep him company on the opposite limb one day.  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:44:40 am »
Thanks Zuma, I'm not a depression kid but I sure remember my grandpa talking about living through it. I think it's just the way we've always been around here. I just can't seem to throw  anything out. Sometimes that's not such a good thing. We've always fixed up and made stuff from old discarded stuff. To me nature is beautiful and I can't see a better way to show respect for  something than to give it a new life when it's used up it original one. I'd like someone to do that to me, but pretty sure they'll just digg a hole and put me in it.
Thanks upstate, the trickiest part was trying to stay in the center of the belly on this little guy. It really didn't take very long to put him up. I just quick skinned him, washed him in soapy water and pinned him to a piece of cardboard. He didn't even need any scrapping he skinned so clean. By far easiest skin I've ever put up. I got my eyes open for a buddy. My brother said he saw one laying on the road coming home from funeral home last night, but thought it was still alive. This must be the week
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 03:07:30 pm »
BJ....Good job on those delicate skins.I call them glorified cellephane!!!,but they will water proof good over sinew.They rehydrate in water in about 30 seconds....lol.No need for staples like some skins either.Like you just pins is all that's needed when drying them.When siding the house here using wood siding stacked on a pile in full sun in the spring there were many between the boards here while working.I skinned a few too then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed