Author Topic: Fungus among us?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Fungus among us?
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:55:56 pm »
Anyone know what these are. They are huge. I saw them growing not far from this same spot a few years ago. I don't think their puff balls.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: Fungus among us?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:30 pm »
They look like giant puffballs. I've only seen two of them in my life. They are edible. I've never eaten the big ones, but have tried the smaller versions. The ones I ate were okay, but not something I have a craving for.  Curtis

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:39 pm »
Lycoperdon giganteum aka the giant puffball. There is no other mushroom that looks like that. They proceed fairly rapidly through a transformation from "firm white flesh throughout" to "filled with dust (billions of spores)."

If harvested early when the flesh is firm and white they are edible. To me they taste like scrambled eggs. Not my favorite mushroom to eat, but some people love them.  -C-
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
Ok thanks guys. I've never actually seen them when they were in the white fleshy stage.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:55 pm »
Not sure about the Giants, but if I remember correctly, the smaller ones were dried and the spores used as a coagulant by Native Americans and mountain men.  I don't know enough to eat them myself, I'll stick to morels when I can find some. -C- >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »
These were in my back yard last year. The kids got a kick out of um  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:03:41 am »
Yep, giant puffballs.  My wife will slice them thin and dehydrate them.  Them, run them through the food processor to turn them into dust.  That is used to flavor soups, gravies and other dishes.  Make sure to get them before they turn yellow.

They also make good roving targets.

Kyle

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:28 am »
Giant puff ball.
Slice them up into 1/2" slabs then cut length wise into 1" long pieces, if pieces still too long cut across the middle.
Saute it in butter or bacon grease, sprinkle with S+P or garlic powder or red pepper flakes.
Better yet, dredge in flour and egg or use your favorite fish batter.
Makes an interesting snack when sitting on the patio having a few beers with your pals.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:31:35 am »
Giant puff ball.
Slice them up into 1/2" slabs then cut length wise into 1" long pieces, if pieces still too long cut across the middle.
Saute it in butter or bacon grease, sprinkle with S+P or garlic powder or red pepper flakes.
Makes an interesting snack when sitting on the patio having a few beers with your pals.

Kevin
Great Kevin, I'll meet you at BJ's he's got the beer and the schrooms. YUMMM!!
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:07:36 am »
Giant puff ball.

Kevin
You bet.I've eaten those at rendezvous like that before.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 12:40:14 pm »
Hawkdancer, I've heard that too, but never tried it. I don't ever think about it when I injure myself. Gotta remember to try this one day. I know there were several tribes which used it as a fire starter. You slice the fresh ones, and then press them into gun powder to catch a flint and steel spark. I have done that successfully. Curtis

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 01:05:01 pm »
Thanks everyone, they may end up to mature before I can get back to them. I knew I should have picked them then.
Great picture Jeff, love everyone's facial expressions.
Bjrogg