Author Topic: Any cell phone techies out there?  (Read 3238 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Any cell phone techies out there?
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
I have been reading up on inexpensive smart phone technology and have figured out the Moto E4 does all the basics and is, best of all, CHEAP to buy.  I go to the Verizon store, they have the phone, $89, but claim I cannot use that with my plan.  Can I just buy it in the unlocked form online and call Verizon to transfer to the new device?  I just cannot stomach spending $250 for a device that can simultaneously run the IRS, NASA, and create the next Pixar movie in split screen when I only need GPS, text, and email.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Any cell phone techies out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:18 pm »
Stick with the Jitterbug JW
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:30 pm »
With virgin i think you are stuck with virgin jw, that was the info i got from verizon anyway, plus their phonesare not the same as the ones from the other carriers. The galaxy 7 they have is not as good as everyone elses
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:15:44 pm »
The cameras on the newer smartphones are incredible.   Instead of looking at it like you are spending a bunch of money on just a phone, think about the high quality digital camera that will be with you wherever you are.  If you go to Verizon's website you can get factory refurbished phones at a discounted price.  Some of those cheaper phones can be very frustrating.  They run a lower quality operating system.  My parents have one.  About once every 2 weeks they have a problem with it and I have to try to figure it out for them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:20 am »
Verizon's (and Sprints) network is 'special' in the sense that they use a little bit different tech than T-Mobile and ATT.  So, you can buy unlocked phones and have them added, but you have to be careful about which networks that the unlocked phone will support.  Verizon uses a CDMA network, and what im talking about can be summed up by this paragraph I grabbed online:

In the US, CDMA carriers use network-based white lists to verify their subscribers. That means you can only switch phones with your carrier's permission, and a carrier doesn't have to accept any particular phone onto its network. It could, but typically, US carriers choose not to.
[/b]

So, to answer your question, if Verizon says it doesn't support that phone, then no, you can't buy it and move it over.  They do offer some other cheaper phones though, they won't show them at the store though, you have to look online on their website.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:04:49 am »
As much as I hate to admit it, there is a lot of truth to what Clint said. My talking and texting are very small part of what I use my phone for. I keep my farm records on it, calendar for meetings I never remember without it, email, enet and like Clint said great camera. I have over 4,000 pictures on my phone. I even take pictures of stuff I'm fixing before I take it apart so I can see how it goes back together. I really like that I have all this capabilities and always carry it with me. I still just have a iPhone 5. It's bigger than my old blackberry which I don't like, but smaller than the newer versions I believe. My cousin tells me they will have them with a roll up screen someday that you will unroll to look at. I'm sure he's right
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:29 am »
The Moto E (4th Generation) says it's compatible with Verizon so you should be fine. If you go to amazon.com/Moto-4th-Generation-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B071YC3G5V there's some some info under "Customer questions & answers" about setting it up specifically on Verizon which might be helpful.
Trevor

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:25:13 pm »
I don't have much to do with cell phones except for emergency use so I went with a pay as you go plan.  Found a provider that doesn't eat up all your left over time at the end of each month.  I bought $100 of time nearly a year ago and I still have $30 of that left  ;D.  I know some people pay thousands of dollars per year on them but giving these cell phone providers all my money doesn't interest me at all.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:58 pm »
I got a pay as you go plan that cost $10 a month and whats left over at the end of the month goes for a credit. I have a $400 credit now. Don't use the phone much. :D

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 09:10:26 pm »
I go to the Verizon store, they have the phone, $89, but claim I cannot use that with my plan

I am confused. most here are talking about a non verizon or unlocked phone being brought to the verizon network.

you have stated that you found the phone at their store. Certianly it must work on some plan they are selling.

if it works with their network, then I would ask a different salesperson , or do some research about what plans it really works with and which ones it does not. It could be that salesperson was trying to up-sell you to a more expensive plan,

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »
I think what jw wants is to get the phone cheap from virgin mobile and use it with a better provider, like i said in a earlier post the virgin phone is not as good as one bought somewhere else, they are not quite the same phone.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:58:09 am »
My provider is a canadian company called TING sells phones at a reasonable rate (mine was $150, but they have cheaper, simpler phones without all the unneeded bells and whistles), and then the payment plan is based entirely on my usage of minutes, texts, and data.  If my phone-addicted son weren't on the same plan, my bill would be $17 a month--the lowest rate.  With the two of us, it is still under $50 a month.  On top of that, the customer service is the best I have ever had with any on-line company ever. I would recommend them to anyone.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:42:40 pm »
I go to the Verizon store, they have the phone, $89, but claim I cannot use that with my plan

I am confused. most here are talking about a non verizon or unlocked phone being brought to the verizon network.

you have stated that you found the phone at their store. Certianly it must work on some plan they are selling.

if it works with their network, then I would ask a different salesperson , or do some research about what plans it really works with and which ones it does not. It could be that salesperson was trying to up-sell you to a more expensive plan,

Yes, they sell the actual phone in their brick and morter store, the Moto E4.  BUT, you have to engage THAT phone to a prepaid account for several billing cycles (they do this to establish credit history). That means I have to get a new account, new phone number, new billing and all that b.s.  THEN and only then they will allow me to then go to a regular plan like I ALREADY HAVE AND HAVE HAD FOR YEARS!  Plus, this is a phone for the non-profit and while changing my personal number is just fine, but you don't just go changing contact information for an established organization for no good reason!

This phone can be purchased in an unlocked form from any number of electronics retailers online.  Maybe Virgin sells it, too, I have never looked at them and have no idea. I seriously think Verizon cannot stand selling me a $90 unit when they can force me to buy something 270% higher priced. (But think of the enhanced gaming experience, the girl told me. Last money I spent on "gaming" was to blow a buck on PacMan in the 1970's, secondly it is irresponsible to be playing games on business equipment and on business time)

Yes, I understand that you can do lots and lots of things on the new smart phones, stuff that a home computer can do.....But that is all handled on *surprise* a state of the art home computer with software that is specific to what we do and is not compatible with a phone.  GPS on the phone is nice, cursory glances at certain emails, too....but this is talk and text for 90% of the time.  Based on 7 years experience with the nonprofit and with smart phones, this very simple and inexpensive model satisfies our needs. Purchasing anything more is conspicously wasteful and irresponsible.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:34 am »
John you can buy the moto 5 phone on amazon and get a verizon sim kit, the sim kit is $10. Then take the phonw with sim kit installed to verizon and you should be able to swap the new for the old , probablly for a small fee😐

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 07:27:29 am »
This is why I did a heck of a lot of research before going the route I did.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com