Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

FOC, center of pressure and performance

<< < (14/15) > >>

Badger:
   My first thought would be how various speeds affected the arrows but that was not part of this test. Good question? Fun trying to figure out what he forgot.

Badger:
 He didn't use medium settings of balance, only the extremes and center.

Selfbowman:
Going out on a limb here. The arrow was not barrel tapered.  Arvin

willie:

--- Quote from: Selfbowman on October 14, 2017, 08:03:42 am ---Going out on a limb here. The arrow was not barrel tapered.  Arvin

--- End quote ---
what arvin mentioned, and not sure how hickman accounted for changes in dynamic spine in his continuously modified test arrow

avcase:
Okay, here is where I think Hickman may have missed something. I didn’t see where he included the effect of arrow spin. A straight fletched arrow with little to no spin should do just what he reported.  It should get a little erratic as the fletch size is reduced and weight moved rearward.

I am actually not yet completely sure that moving the center of balance rearward and inducing a moderate spin is a good strategy for longer arrow Flight, but I do think I too is worth investigating further. I have seen some evidence of this with my foot bow arrows. The nose-heavy arrows flew predictably, and buried themselves deep in the ground. The arrows with their center of gravity further rearward landed more erratically, and often didn’t go any farther. But when I induced a small amount of spin (by altering the shape of the vanes), I had a few very long flying arrows.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to test this out in a very controlled way yet.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version