Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

FOC, center of pressure and performance

<< < (5/15) > >>

Tuomo:
Nice arrows! What is spine of the arrows? How much they are bending for example a 2# weight on 22" centers, or something like that?

avcase:
I rarely spine test the flight arrows the usual way. My spine test usually consists of balancing the arrow on my finger tip, tapping it, and listening to the frequency it naturally rings at. I can try to measure the spine of these the normal way and let you know, but it doesn't seem particularly high.

I figure I may as well post more detail now that I finally figured out how to post images here:
Metal point on the smaller arrow is about 1/8" diameter.

The nocks are reinforced with thin silk thread soaked in hide glue.  It hasn't held up well to moisture. Fletches are stiff but thin, and are either duck or goose. Pheasant tail feathers are another favorite.

Alan

BowEd:

--- Quote from: avcase on September 17, 2017, 02:14:50 am ---I think I have the way to post pictures finally figured out.

Both are split cane.  The top one is 23" long, 23" long, and a maximum diameter of 0.215". The bottom one is 26-1/8" long, 212 grains, with a maximum diameter of 0.234". Balance points for both are just behind the center of the arrow. I am not sure why these have shot so well out of a such a large variety of bows. They totally contradict my earlier statements that the classic Turkish shaped arrow was not the best performer for me, are they are not even very straight!  Hahaha!

Alan

--- End quote ---
I'm in the dark about making flight arrows but split cane?From the sidewalls of thicker walled bamboo?Maximum diameter of under 1/4"?If so they should be pretty darn stiff I'd think but what do I know.Nice arrows BTW.

avcase:
The split cane flight arrows are made from six splits off a Tonkin Cane bamboo culm or stalk that are shaped and glued together to form the arrow shaft.  The process is the same as used to make a split cane bamboo fly rod.

Deflection of the 26-1/8" long flight arrow shown above is about .57 inches with a 22 inch span and 2-pound weight.  So stiffness is similar to that measured on old Turkish flight arrows. A good spruce flight arrow would have to be about 0.313" diameter to match the spiny/stiffness of the 0.234" diameter split cane flight arrow.

This is interesting. The weight for my larger diameter spruce flight arrow and equivalent stiffness of the split cane Tonkin arrow is almost identical.

Alan

willie:
  I am getting an itch to build some arrows for distance shooting. Wading thru the physics and aerodynamics at present, quite a complex and fascinating study. Maybe I can apply some old learning about fluid mechanics, to a new endevor, now that I have the time.

Just curious if any  shooters can comment on shooting flight arrows at lesser angles or bow poundages. Having a suitable range nearby, where one does not loose too many arrows, seems to be desirable.

Thanks for taking the time to post your work, Alan. I am surprised to learn that some of your arrows  "have shot so well out of a such a large variety of bows." Seems to speak more to the qualities of the arrow it's self, than some of the exacting particulars of a bow, or how it is tuned.

And thanks for posting the spruce specs, as I am keeping my eye out for some primo local wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version