Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

FOC, center of pressure and performance

<< < (4/15) > >>

avcase:
I think there could be some errors in the measurements of the Turkish Flight arrows. I would expect at least some minor difference between the center of gravity and the maximum diameter. It would be great if there are other measurement data on these types of arrows available.

The long taper to a very tiny point like the flight arrows in the Archery Antiqueries article have never worked very well for me. I am not sure why the Turkish archers adhered to this standard so rigidly. The shape of these arrows are probably driven by other factors such as shooting technique and attempting to get the most stiffness out of the lightest arrow possible.  I am not that well educated in the history behind Turkish flight archery, so I am just guessing.

It looks as though the wings on the harpoons serve a function similar to fletching on an arrow.

Thanks for the links.

avcase:
I dug through my stash of natural material flight arrows and pulled a couple that have consistently outperformed the others.

They are in pretty rough shape after 8-9 years of flight shooting. Let's see if the images post okay...

willie:
Hoping to see the pics, but cannot, even after your edit. Perhaps It's just my setup. Can anyone confirm if they are visible?

Aaron H:
I don't see anything

avcase:
I think I have the way to post pictures finally figured out.

Both are split cane.  The top one is 23" long, 23" long, and a maximum diameter of 0.215". The bottom one is 26-1/8" long, 212 grains, with a maximum diameter of 0.234". Balance points for both are just behind the center of the arrow. I am not sure why these have shot so well out of a such a large variety of bows. They totally contradict my earlier statements that the classic Turkish shaped arrow was not the best performer for me, are they are not even very straight!  Hahaha!

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version