Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

FOC, center of pressure and performance

<< < (3/15) > >>

Badger:
   I have had my best distances, well past world record in the 50# classes with very average bows. Just by chance an arrow came out clean and flew well. The arrow is a huge part of the equation. I am convinced that the best strategy for working out the mysteries has a lot to do with shooting a lot more arrows of different designs at least until recognizable patterns start to emerge. We know drag is a bad thing but the jury still seems to be somewhat out on the perfect shape of an arrow and the best way to get an arrow out of a bow. I do believe we have a pretty good idea on these things that just needs some fine tuning. More shooting, shooting, shooting!

avcase:
Steve,
I agree. There is no substitute for going out and shooting.  I often use the theoretical ideas to help target areas to explore with real world testing, and I use discoveries from real world testing to understand the limititations and improve the theoretical methods.

I feel there is a lot be learned about arrow flight. There really hasn't been a lot of research into the way we are trying to apply aerodynamics to a flight arrow. Especially where beneficial drag might be concerned. An arrow is not quite like a bullet or a rocket. An arrow is unlike fin stabililized armor piercing projectiles due to the lower velocity and due to the fact that we are not necessarily trying to punch as deep a hole as possible into the ground. Same goes for gravity bombs. We are able to learn a lot from these other applications, but there is much to be learned on our own as well.

Alan

willie:
Alan and Steve,
the sharing of your experience(s) at the flight line and observations are appreciated, and make much food for thought.

"Especially where beneficial drag might be concerned." brings to mind some other innovative drag applications

1. some ideas seen in javelin development

--- Code: ---http://www.symscape.com/blog/engineering-in-sports-javelin-throwing
--- End code ---

2. a review of some primitive ideas used on harpoons (for extended glide underwater)

--- Code: ---https://kayakgreenland1959.wordpress.com/
--- End code ---
look for winged harpoons about 4/5 down the page

avcase:
I used to throw javelin in high school. They used to be less point-heavy than they are now.

I am not finding the info on the harpoon but I think seems pretty interesting. I suppose it isn't possible to post a direct link here.

There is a water toy called a toypedo that will provide hours of entertainment in the swimming pool and get you thinking about flight arrows.

There has been a lot of unresolved discussion about the potential of beneficial drag with flight arrows. Is it better to give the arrow a polished surface, or leave it somewhat rough?  I think it depends on a few different things. I can see how it might be beneficial to trip the boundary layer with some roughness on a longer arrow, but it with a very short arrow, it may be better to give it a highly polished surface in order to preserve as much laminar flow across the surface of the arrow as possible.  those that compete and win model rocket altitude contests go with a polished surface. I will take a look through my best natural material arrows and see if there are any common traits worth sharing. It has been awhile since I really looked through them closely.

Alan

willie:
https://kayakgreenland1959.wordpress.com/category/yak-1959-three/
about halfway down the page
his blog contains the same info in a few places, as one post seems to be an edit of another

In looking over article and tables from the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, volume 4, 1961 article, I noticed that...........

--- Quote ---"in some cases lead was inserted in a hole drilled in the bottom of the nock to bring the balance point........".
--- End quote ---

and that the balance point  of the sampled arrows always coincides with the maximum diameter, and occurs at 55% (plus/minus 1%) back from the tip. These arrows are very similar, almost too similar?

Has anyone seen sources of info on different/other turkish arrows that show some variety? or is the turkish design that consistent?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version