Author Topic: New bow making terms  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Badger

New bow making terms
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:18:58 pm »
       This kind of occurred to me out of the blue while tillering a bow the other day. When I first started out and several year prior to that I would remove wood to lower weight on a bow as I approached target weight while trying to keep it in tiller the best I could as I approached target weight. Now I don't remove wood to lower the weight I simply remove wood to perfect the tiller and the result is lowering the weight as I perfect the tiller. A subtle distinction but none the less important. I simply keep perfecting it until I hit target weight and then I have to stop.
     I would like to coin a word or phrase for this method to add to our ever growing glossary of bow making terms. Any suggestions?

Also, if you have any other terms or phrases you feel would be useful please add it here if it already hasn't been added.

Offline PatM

Re: New bow making terms
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »
How about badgering the wood?

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
How about badgering the wood?

Maybe "Badgering the bend" I kind of like the term but would feel egotistical putting my own name on it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:43 pm »
I vote badgering the bend too,, :)

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:43 pm »
Thats a nice way to approach the goal, thanks for sharing.
but would feel egotistical putting my own name on it.
you didn't, PatM did. You asked and..... a deals a deal  ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:06:37 pm »
  How about " Krewsons Gizmo" I think it earned his name.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
+1 more for "badgering the bend"!  Fully describing and defining the action equals inventing the tool!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:35 am »
+1 on badgering the bend. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 05:51:12 am »
Tiller to perfection :)
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:29 am »
Sounds good to me also Steve

I sort of do the same thing as you.  I just don't bother nailing target weight since that can change with use and with the weather
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:37:28 am »
I have always been reluctant to attach my name to the gizmo, I like "tillering gizmo" the best. The way I look at it, if you make a gizmo, it is your creation not mine.

"Perry Reflex" stuck years ago and was misused to the point of absurdity.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:27 am »
     Eric I agree that terms can be misused. Tim Baker is the one who coined the name Perry Reflex after Dan Perry explained his theory behind the principle. With a tillering Gizmo it would be pretty hard to misuse the name I think. I also think the gizmo will have more significance as time wares on. I didn't like the gizmo at first because all the bows I used it on had hand shock. But there were things I liked very much about it, it helped get tillers balanced out much quicker before any damage took place and it eliminated studying the tiller shape until I went cross eyed. It works very well with the methods I use for tillering once I learned how to use it to get the shape of bow I like.

Some people have that artists eye and have no need for a bend gauge while many of us struggle with that perfect eye. I think it is a very valuable tool and should be recognized as such. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:00 am »
Well, there is more to the gizmo story; I came up with the initial idea but I used two set screws through the sides of the gizmo to hold the pencil in place, it was loosen a screw, push the pencil up a little and tighten the screw to hold it in place.

Here it is, the very first tillering gizmo;

I gave one of my early gizmos to a friend named Daniel Willoughby at a shoot in Mississippi. I saw Daniel at the next shoot and he showed me how he had altered the gizmo to make it work better. He came up with the idea of tapping a 5/16" nut in the hole to hold the pencil, brilliant!

My first gizmos were square, I later slanted the ends. Another guy, unfortunately I can't remember who, came up with the pyramid shape I now use.

So my idea, with some great design changes from the users to make the gizmo what it is today.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:51:46 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:33 am »
I tiller similarly Steve. It's very rare that the tiller, balance, and shape is so perfect that I can't find even the tiniest thing I'd like to do before I hit target weight. I just call it tillering.

Strange... back when I focused more on reducing weight as I was tillering, that's when I missed draw weight more often. But that's back when I was less experienced too so...
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »
Badger, I agree. I try to get the tiller right immediately even with the long string. But continue to adjust when on the short string.
But as I get older and can't pull heavy bows, it becomes a matter of maintaining and adjusting as I reduce the weight.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!