Author Topic: Brace height  (Read 3415 times)

Offline DC

Brace height
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:10:55 pm »
I'm reading an article about tuning arrows. In it he says to adjust the brace height up or down to get rid of noise and vibration. What is it about brace height that would cause noise and vibration?

Offline bushboy

Re: Brace height
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:34:57 pm »
just thinking out loud,but I think it has something to do with expending as much energy into the arrow so nothing is left to twang. That said I favor a low brace height on a 64/62" bow,just enough to clear the fletchings.i think fistmele was more for longer type warbows?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »
For a primitive bow, shoot the lowest brace height at which good arrow flight is achieved.
If the brace height is too low the arrow hits the side of the bow with a whacking noise which is obviously not good.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:52:40 am »
I think BB might be on to somthing there it seems the more effecent a bow is the less noise it makes speaking to strait limbed bows , I never exceed 7 in. From the back of the bow these days , but also could do with string material used kinda like a guitar string tunning it one way or the other !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:57:26 am »
Its no different than a stringed instrument. When the tension is right the vibrations are gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:46:53 am »
Its no different than a stringed instrument. When the tension is right the vibrations are gone.

If it doesn't vibrate does it make a sound? ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:48:48 am »
I should have known. Ok, its like an out of tune guitar.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:22 am »
Out of tune, out of time, and the words have no rhyme! >:D  Maybe I will brace my bows and use my harp tuner to check the pitch (SH)!  I use my fistmele on my old fg longbow, but also clear my fletching, about 5 1/2 -6". 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
Ok, its like an out of tune guitar.

out of tune compared to what?

Don't mean to be picky, but could it be more about the residual vibrations in the limbs, rather than the string?
If the limbs are still vibrating some, then there might be all sorts of different thing happening with the string vibes.
Somewhere in there the dampening is max.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »
 well,, hmmm
if the brace height is too low,,,, the arrow gonna ack like its too stiff,,
or clang on the bow,,
as you raise the brace, there is a sweet spot that the bow likes,, cause the way it is tillered and some other stuff I cant explain:),,,
now,, if you brace the bow to high,, it might shoot ok, but you really straining the limbs too much,, and it probably gonna take too much set or break,,
so better to err on the side of as low as you can go and get good arrow flight and quite release,,
if your release is bad,, wont matter where the brace height is,, it probably gonna make noise when you shoot,,
I have shot with people and they say ,,  my bow is noisey,, then I shoot it,, hmmm it was quite,, so not the bow,,
its probably release and hold on the bow,,
theres all kinda vibration going on,, of course,, but bottom line,, the bow gonna shoot nice at a reasonable brace height as suggested above,,
I have shot some bows where the arrow pass was so wide,, it was very difficult to tune it,, and alot of things needed to be adjusted,,string alignment etc,, to get the bow to shoot well,, not just the brace,,, ok that being said,,
if the bow is lined up good,, it will be forgiving on the brace,say maybe shoot good from 5 to 6 1/2 inches,,

things are not so critical on a long bow, and thats why they have the reputation for being so accurate,, you can be off on the tiller and brace,, and it still shoot good,,

ok not on a short bow,, you have to have every thing pretty close to get one to shoot really well,,
and thats why alot of folks think they are not accurate,, but they are if tuned well to hit that sweet note Pearl was taliking about,, just like an anglels voice from heaven when you shoot that arrow,,,, :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:07:13 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:24:12 pm »
What is the difference between a good release and a bad one? What makes a good release and vice-versa? I'm not talking results here, I'm meaning what makes a bad or good release? What would I have to change?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:24 pm »
i find the best speed and accuracy comes from a no hold shot,just let the string rip off your finger at your draw length.that said"I figured this out from a miss fire guite by accident!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
thats a hard question,,
a smooth release lets the arrow come out of hand and fingers smoothly,, so it is already going pretty straight and does not hit the bow,,
I would think it would be trial and error,, when you see the arrow quitely and smoothly coming off the bow, ,repeat that,,
thats why Byron Ferguson says his 70# bow is easier to get a good release,,
it just pulls out of the fingers ,,,
I dont know how to tell you how to do it,,
if you are holding the bow so long you are starting to cramp up,, and gripping the handle in a death grip,, and your fingers are are tensing up,, you gonna get a bad release,,
its hitting full draw and pulling throught the shot and being relaxed,, thats my best shot at trying to explain it

usually when you are getting you best shots through a chrono,, you are getting a good release,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »
On Selfbows go 6-6-1/2 it should work good if not the arrows are probably one of two things . The arrow is to stiff or to weak.  In that case find a thread about tuning pretty much any bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 05:19:17 am »

Ok, its like an out of tune guitar.

out of tune compared to what?

Don't mean to be picky, but could it be more about the residual vibrations in the limbs, rather than the string?
If the limbs are still vibrating some, then there might be all sorts of different thing happening with the string vibes.
Somewhere in there the dampening is max.

Very well could be limb and string, I don't know. What I do know is you can tell a lot by plucking the string on a bow. When its right its a quick, dead thud sound. When its wrong it vibrates and hums and you can feel it in the bow.