Author Topic: Oxalic acid  (Read 1503 times)

Offline DC

Oxalic acid
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:41 pm »
Has anyone used oxalic acid to remove steaming stains? I read an article about steaming that recommended it for removing stains.

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Oxalic acid
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:28 am »
If the stains are too bad, I'd consider just staining the whole shebang a darker color or use some paint to hide it.  Just saying.  Never tried the acid.  Isn't that the eyewash stuff?  I find, if you put fabric softener from the wash room in the steam water, it does not stain as much.   Also, if you use distilled water.    Russ. 

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:27 am »
It's a weak acid but I don't think I would put it in my eyes. Our tap water is very close to distilled. We had some tested at work and they said it was fine to use in batteries right out of the tap so I don't think its minerals. Ocean Spray is the worst I've tried. It's very high in tannins. That may have something to do with it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:12 pm »
What sort of wood have you been steam bending(high tannin content)? If the stave still needs tillering and sanding, the marks will be removed  during the process.
I have used oxalic acid to remove stains that was caused by contact with ferrous metals. It does that quite well. I'm not sure how it would go with stains like watermarks, not metallic reactions. Worth a try. It can put a slight yellowish cast of its own on pale woods.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
Ocean Spray.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »
 Never been able to get my hands on Ocean Spray( pale timber?)Sounds like it was the steamed woods reaction to the metal clamps, or perhaps a metal strap if you were doing recurves, rather than the water stains you can sometimes get from steaming pale woods . If so the oxalic acid will do the trick.
I would still wait until the bow is tillered and then sanded before bothering with the acid.