Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Ezra Knight

Tiller check
« on: August 31, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »
Just needing a quick tiller check. The bottom tip held a bit more reflex than the top and the top limb has quite a bit of propeller twist. It's also got a slight positive tiller. Sorry about the cruddy background, I temporarily live in a cruddy apartment

Offline Ezra Knight

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:12:22 pm »
The pics are full draw at 26 inches

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 07:18:48 pm »
Looking really good! keep it up
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:33:17 pm »
I think it looks pretty good as well. Is it a lever-type bow? The outer 20-30% of the limbs look pretty stiff (not necessarily a bad thing).  Also, if that's osage you could fix the propeller twist easily with some dry heat.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:50 pm »
Very nice! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
Nothing cruddy about that bow.Nice work.More pics of top view and at rest would give us something to chew on.Maybe a length measurement TTT.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:00 pm »
looks like it shoots good,, what else is there,,??? :)

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:31:21 pm »
I think it looks pretty good as well. Is it a lever-type bow? The outer 20-30% of the limbs look pretty stiff (not necessarily a bad thing).  Also, if that's osage you could fix the propeller twist easily with some dry heat.

I like to leave the last 8-10 or so inches kind of stiff, mostly because I have a relatively short draw and I like how it compliments the zip that the reflexed tips add. I'm mostly just asking about the tiller because I'm working on a bow as a gift for my cousin who is an avid "modern" hunter, and I just really want to impress him so I'm making sure I've really got the hang of tillering before I finish the tiller on his bow. I've always been a little lazier on the tiller for my personal bows

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:34:57 pm »
looks like it shoots good,, what else is there,,??? :)

It does shoot really good. It's the same bow I took the boar with that I posted pictures of a few weeks ago. I mostly just needed reassurance. If I look at the tiller of a bow for too long, I start to go a little crazy

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 10:37:07 pm »
Nothing cruddy about that bow.Nice work.More pics of top view and at rest would give us something to chew on.Maybe a length measurement TTT.

I don't think I have any unbraced pics at the moment, but the bow is 66 inches TTT

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 06:06:47 am »
From what I see I like it Ezra, it looks a lot like I tiller my bows. I have a short draw to and I usually try to lighten up the tips as much as I can but still leave them stiff.  What is your cousin's draw length? He might not realize how important it is not to overdraw this bow, I'd explain that very sternly before you even let him draw it. For some reason these guys just seem to want to smile and pull it to their ear. Probably because their use to a release and not use to the weight steadily increasing as they draw. I sometimes wonder if they think a cam is going to flip over and they'll be able to hold it at 20% draw weight lol. Maybe if I pull it a little further.
      I like it, looks like it would fit me good. Hope your cousin falls in love with it and takes the time to learn all the do's and don'ts of a selfbow
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:45:22 am »
His draw length is around 26.5, so almost the same as mine. And yeah, I've been trying to educate him the best I can of the do's and dont's of selfbows. Not to overdraw or let anyone else overdraw it is the first thing I'm gonna say before I hand it over to him. I noticed that even with him (because I measured his draw), he initially draws to 27 inches, but then relaxes into 26.5

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 08:12:55 am »
I would tiller it to at least 28 as added insurance. But that's just me who has a 30+ draw who also has brothers and a father with a 30+" draw.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.