Author Topic: Getting the most from your snake  (Read 1230 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Getting the most from your snake
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:16 pm »
Anyone ever use both the back and the belly of a snake to get enough skin to cover the entire back of a bow? Just curious about how that might look. Feel free to share some pics or a link to a thread if the answer is yes.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Getting the most from your snake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »
I've used the belly skin off of fat snakes.  It makes an interesting looking backing and adds a little bit of protection.  I've never used the back and belly like you are talking about.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply OO. Yeah, I can't say I've ever seen it done. Think I might give it a try.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:05:27 pm »
What kind of snakes are you talking about?  I'd love to get some of those vibrant green snakes and put on a white wood bow.  They are usually long and slender.

Offline HorseApples

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:14:01 am »
Agree OO, you are probably looking for a yellow bellied racer. They can be really bright green on their underside. I would love to see the belly of one of them on a bow:
http://www.texassnakes.net/racer.htm

Either that or a coachwhip belly skin.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:47 am »
Specifically, I'm talking about a Northern Water Snake. I got one that is about 35". Not long enough for a 62" bow, but if I use both the back and belly...

The colors match, but the patterns are obviously different. I think it might give the bow a cool and original look. The alternative is catch another snake and lord knows that ain't easy  :-\

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:48:16 am »
Agree OO, you are probably looking for a yellow bellied racer. They can be really bright green on their underside. I would love to see the belly of one of them on a bow:
http://www.texassnakes.net/racer.htm

Either that or a coachwhip belly skin.

I was talking about the smooth green snake

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:49:56 am »
The belly scales are a little harder to get off than the back scales.  I take a utility knife and seperate the scale from the skin and then carefully pull it off.  You have to do one at a time.  It will still leave a rough backing on the bow. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 11:37:06 am »
Jeff might not be how your thinking, but all but one of the bows I backed with snake skins I got the most of of them by just using one snake. I cut them in half usually getting two skins between 15" to 19". I start around the fades and it usually takes me close to the static tips. I have wrapped the ends with tread, but the last one I did I kind of made a distressed look by lightly filing the ends in a irregular pattern. I really like that look.
      If you want to use the belly and the back of snake separately, I think it would work best to split your snake by cutting up its side between back and belly patterns. Then scrap and dry and split it again on opposite side. Not sure if your snake is wide enough for that, just my 2c worth. Always looking to use what nature gave us to the most we can get from it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »
BJ, I didn't realize you could cut one skin in half like that. I love the look of your snakeskin backed bows so that's good to know. I did go about getting a back and belly piece as you suggested. It was a really fat snake, just not that long.

OO, thanks for the tip regarding belly scales.  :) And that green snake would look awesome on a white wood bow indeed!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:18:39 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I personally really like the look to. It's nice to have some wood showing not covered by the skins. Kinda always reminds me of a pretty lady in a bikini lol. I also like saving a snake and some$$$.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise