Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 06:34:21 am »
WOW, we had 17 inches over 2 days back at the 13th Classic, I can't imagine 25 or 30 inches or more at one time, Hope they are fairing well, I will keep them in my prayers .I know it will be a challenge for all in the area for some time to come. Took us months to clean up after the flood we had and we didn't have the wind damage to go with it.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:42 am »
Yes, I just can't wrap my head around that much rain. Totally amazing to me. That system just ain't moving much either. Just keeps sucking that water out of the Gulf.
Bless you All, your in my prayers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 09:38:34 am »
Just a devestating costly laborous time consuming mess.The lucky ones will have insurance.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:33 am »
A dam upriver from Houston is opening their gates to gradually let water out. Could put the Buffalo Bayou(through the center of Houston) another 6' higher today. The area could have lots more rain for the next 36 hours at least, also.
 My daughter lives in downtown Houston, right next to Buffalo Bayou. She is in a high rise apt. and she still has electricity. She works for Customs and Border Protection and is in touch with the DHS incident commander so she is keeping us posted. Marie's(Calendergirl) parents live in Houston also. They also are in a high rise along Buffalo Bayou and still have electricity. PA headquarters and warehouse are in Houston also but I fear they aren't faring so well.
Most of the flooded houses we see on TV will be total losses because of the water damage then comes the mold(remember Katrina in NOLA). This mess has just started.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:15 pm »
I do hope that everyone done there is able to stay safe, and make it to some sort of shelter.  I heard on the news that emergency crews from the Denver region are preparing to head out to assist, and I would think many other support and infrastructure type personnel will be dispatched as well.  That much rain at one time is unheard of almost anywhere!

Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »
Primitive Tim and his kayak tour company are headed that way right now to help with high water rescues and whatever good they can serve. 

If you can help them help the victims, go to the GoFundMe page they have set up.
h ttps://www.gofundme.com/a-day-away-hurricane-rescue-fund  (cut and paste, remove the space I put between the h and the ttps)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 03:59:39 pm »
I'd like to hear about the Gypsum stack in Pasadena on the river and Bay the storm surge came through. It's only a few feet above sea level. 'if it collapses it will be dumping slightly radioactive, acidic Process Water in the river. It has done it before with devastating results to the fisheries in the area.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 08:01:33 am »
I've had 30 + inches in the last couple days.The water got to the door but I was fortunate. Last night was bad but i think i may be out of the woods for my own house flooding. My sister lost 3 cars and her house. I can't get to my mom's house or my mother in laws to see the extemt of there damage. I Have aunt's and uncles and cousins in Sante Fe that lost everything. It's catastrophic down here right now. . My wife is a teacher in Dickinson  and the whole town is basically under water.  It's moving to the east of us right now so we should start drying out. Thank you for the prayers, we have a long road ahead!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
Yes Bob many prayers. This stuff doesn't get fixed overnight. Hang in there and stay safe
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »
Not sure where Don Tower or Nate live, hope everyone is doing okay :( Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 08:08:15 pm »
Outback, wife and I  had lunch with Tower a few years ago in New Braunfels, Texas and I believe he lived in the hill country, north of San Antonio. I thought he said the Georgetown area. I called my buddy yesterday who lives in that same area and they have had very little rain as of yesterday.

The guy that lives across the street from us owns the largest Kayak company in America.  They shipped  2000 Kayaks to the Houston area.  The Kayaks were purchased by Walmart and donated to the Houston area.They sent them out yesterday. The company covered the transportation costs to get them to Texas.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:17:17 pm by JEB »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »
Thoughts and prayers to all those effected. Hang in there Bob.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 09:49:39 pm »
We started getting rain here this evening from Harvey. Just a light drizzle and we need it but I think the actual storm is heading up the Mississippi valley towards Tennessee.
 My daughter said the water had gone down some where she is and auto traffic was starting to move. She was lucky. She never lost power or had to evacuate. It's going to take a long time to recover from this historic storm. And with Harvey heading northeast all that water has to come back down the Mississippi River.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 03:43:26 am »
Yep it is here now and will linger for a couple of days they say, nothing like what they got thank goodness, they say 3 to 7 inches in the next couple of days. It is so sad to see all them poor people, we had a flood here in 2010 and it was bad and took months  even years for some to recover most of what was lost but still nothing to compare with the one they have going on.  :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:16 am »
Sure does put things in perspective.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb