Author Topic: What Bow string ?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline legend

What Bow string ?
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:53 am »
Hello all ,
Just in the process of making my first bow , Greenhart Belly / Hickory Backing 68" Flatbow . I would like advice on what string to use to make a decent bow string ? How many strands per string and what actually determines this ?I have a 26 to 27 inch draw .
Thanks

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Bow string ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:24:07 am »
I like to use D-97, Fast Flight and other modern low stretch string material.  The strand count will depend on what material you use.  Plus, are you wanting a fat string with small serving or do you want a skinny string that will need double served? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:37:21 am »
I use D97 also and I run 12 stranss any more. It makes for a fairly thin string but only needs kne layer of thick serving. And plenty strong for a 60-70# bow. Though I might pad the loops on bows in the heavier end of the spectrum.

Kyle

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:23:30 pm »
I've used B-50 or B-55 for about 30 years and never had a problem with it. I use a 14 strands(2 bundle) Flemish twist string for bows over 45# and 12 strands for bows 45# and under.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »
You are supposed to have 6 times the bow's draw weight in a bow strings breaking strength.

B-50 has a breaking strength of 50#, I think DF-97 breaks at around 125#. You can make skinny strings and be safe but then you have a bad nock to serving fit.

I use 12 strands of B-50 for some strings and 12 strands of DF-97 for others with .025 serving and get a good nock fit.

One other thing; you can really kill a bow's performance by going with too many strands of string material.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:41:04 pm »
14 strands of B-50 may be overkill  for a 45# to 55# bow but in 30 years I've never had a bow string break and never realized my performance was down. I guess ignorance is bliss.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:03:58 pm »
I use B-50. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline legend

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:13:54 pm »
Hello All ,
First what is the difference between B50  / B55 /
And if I were to order a bow string online for the above bow which I,m making , do I order the length Tip to Tip or Nock to nock ? and what would be more appropriate Flemish or Continuous style string ?
Thanks

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »
I'll make you a Flemish twist string.  Give me the exact length that you need.  What colors do you like?  You can PM me your address. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »
There is probably very little difference between B-50 sand B-55. The B-55 may be a bit thinner. I've even mixed the two because it's what I had and the colors I wanted.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 05:11:10 pm »
I've used B-50 and B-55. When I bought B-55, it was labeled B-55 Polyester, when I bought the roll of B-50 I have its label says B-50 Dacron. I don't know what the difference is but I haven't noticed a difference in performance. As for the Flemish or continuous style string, there are a lot of opinions out there about that subject, I personally make the continuous style string, otherwise known as the endless string, because its the only string I know how to build, I haven't taken the time to teach myself how to make a Flemish string. As for shooting them, I haven't noticed a difference other than with a Flemish string you can twist or untwist the string to raise or lower the brace height of your bow, which can help with tuning your bow for good arrow flight and to make your bow quieter (a concern if you're hunting with your bow). I've fiddled with that twisting and untwisting to find that sweet spot before but once again, I haven't really noticed a significant difference, so either string works for me, I just use the endless because that's what I can make. An endless or continuous style string is not difficult to make, I learned how to make one from the chapter on bowstrings in Traditional Bowyers' Bible volume II. I've also used linen to make an endless string and it worked well. Hope this helps.

Aaron

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 11:24:42 pm »
Aaron, Dacron is a polyester.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 12:20:08 am »
What Eric Krewson said. I use 12 strands of D97.

Offline legend

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 01:48:08 am »
Thanks very much Guys

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 03:55:55 am »
I use 9 strand fast flite with good results.i make a rope and serve and back splice the loops.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.