Author Topic: Osage  (Read 1813 times)

Offline DC

Osage
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:55:27 pm »
I'm working my first billets of Osage(thanks Goat). I want to glue on some temp string nocks. The wood feels very pitchy/oily or something. Will CA still work? Any pre treatment? I epoxied the splice and it seems fine but I usually CA tips.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Osage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »
You could degrease with dish soap or acetone, but pretty sure a good super glue won't care.
Are these those billets you figured we're maybe too narrow before?
If they don't work out, I have anothet for you, I'll bring it to the gathering

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:20:51 pm »
I clean the wood and overlay with acetone before gluing with superglue. I've never had one come off. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »

Are these those billets you figured we're maybe too narrow before?

Yup. They are still very narrow. I had to glue pieces on the sides to make the handle area wide enough to splice so there is two extra glue lines in the handle. It looks like it will be a skinny molle. It's less than and inch wide and then drops suddenly to 5/8" about 10" in from the tips. I've pretty much got it to finished dimensions and 40# doesn't get it to brace height so it should make a bow ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
Another question about Osage. With the early and late wood being so different I'm finding the working around the fades and wherever the wood gets thinner the scraper forms steps. Other than sandpaper or scraping sideways(which is tough in the fades) is there a way to smooth those areas.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »
Yes, I use files and fine toothed rasps a lot. Which ones depends on how bad I've allowed the washboarding to become. I usually catch it early. For minimal washboarding, I may use a small 6-8" mill file, or knife file... held askew... for more drastic measures I may use a bigger bastard, or double cut file... then switch to a smaller mill or smooth file. When the surface is even worse, I'll employ my Nicholson #49. I keep all of them and more within arm's reach of the bench vise. It's almost a subconscious thing. Ya grap what ya need, sometimes switching every few seconds without thought. Files and rasps are ultimately cheap and a greater variety makes for better bows.

Another method to cure washboarding is the effective use of good quality sandpaper.... to use stiffer-backed sandpaper... following the file work noted above... cloth backed iron oxide sandpaper is what I use. It doesn't have to be coarse grit, per se.... 100-150 will work great, if it has a spine and is held quite taut between your hands... it will level those osage rings in the dips in seconds. Even the width of the strip you rip off should be conducive to your needs. I'll rip off a wider piece for the limb than I will the dip. ...love my sandpaper. Go then to 200-240 and then 400.... pulling even tighter while pushing down with LESS force, maintaining even more tension on the paper between your hands... sometimes I inadvertently rip the paper in half just because I'm pulling too hard... one hand away from the other... not because I'm pushing down against the bow too hard. Don't let it sink into the softer spring wood. Float the highly tensioned paper over it all, with the grain, parallel with the limbs. This works better than sanding blocks or any hard metal tools I've used.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
Use a file diagonal to the bow to smooth the fades out. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:55:29 pm »
Dragging your scraper along the rings(and not across) on both sides of the fades will help reduce the undulations in the early wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:17 am »
An orbital sander will eliminate the steps completely, it will also get rid of any washboard on the belly.

I do my final tillering with an orbital sander just for this reason, I don't like steps at the fade or visible washboard from scraping on the belly of my finished bows.

I do rough tillering with 150 grit and finish with 220. The orbital sander will leave tiny swirls in the wood so I finish up with a light hand sanding.

I bought my current sander from Walmart, $13 if I remember correctly. it is a clamp on sander but I use stick on sandpaper that I take off with a little heat from my heat gun.